Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Buried by AntiSpyware XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CaseyTheRak

CaseyTheRak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

I am an absolute infant on this site, so please forgive any ignorant information I erroneously provide you with. I will do my best to be very thorough.

I was surfing the web yesterday when suddenly up pops a warning window from what I thought was my windows security program, although I was immediately suspicious. Got all the usual messages I'm sure, "29 security threats identified on your computer" "Download and run scan to protect your system" blah, blah blah.

Because I was suspicious, I hit the "red X" to close the program, and the crap hit the fan. Since then -- I was using Firefox -- as my browser, I was suddenly switched to Internet Explorer and couldn't use Foxfire anymore. My Applications won't open normally, I can't get online, etc. so I did a search, found "bleepingcomputer.com" downloaded Malwarebytes free Malware remover, ran the program as instructed copied the logs, etc., and was told by Malwarebytes, my computer was clean and everything had been corrected, removed, etc. As a precaution, I ran the program again, it did it's search and came back clean. Then I tried to run AVG and couldn't open the application. So, I rebooted my system and figured I'd do a complete scan (1hour53min). I was able to start AVG by right-clicking on the program icon and selecting the "start" command instead of "open" or "run with". I did an entire system scan 400,000 plus files and AVG reported zero threats found.

I'm lost. Don't know what to do, can someone have mercy on me and help?

I am running windows XP on a first generation Dell XPS system. Tell me what else I need to provide you with and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Thanks, in advance, for any response.

CaseyTheRak

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 March 2010 - 05:20 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users