Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting windows xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rx123

rx123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I have windows xp and i today went to reformat and install windows xp for a fresh start. along the way i was installing drivers and i came across being able to update you bios for overclocking. So i jumped into it and i was in a hurry and i installed a FAT32 BIOS when i partioned for a NTFS. Now when i try to get back into the bios the screen is just blank. To get back into windows i have to do the reformatting prcess all over agian and can only stay in it after the inital installation. IS there anyway i could get my old bios back??

help me out

-rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rx123

rx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

would reformating it and making it in FAT and possily trying to get into the bios and turning it back to the default work?

#3 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Some motherboards have a hotkey to update bios from a floppy or a flash drive without actually going into cmos. Go to your computer manufacturers website and look for instruction for your unit. If you have a dell for example you can probably download a bios from their website- if they don't have instructions on how to install it without going into cmos then find out if it is an intel or ? and go to the actual motherboards website for how to update the bios--- install the bios that comes from the computer manufacturers website not the motherboards (or windows (if you make it into it) will need another activation that you can't provide).

If all else fails you can send in the chip and they will do it for you- I had to do that for a bad flash once it cost $5.00 + postage. (asus motherboard)

Suggestion: Never upgrade a bios except to repair a problem- not a great thing to do for fun. If you want to get into overclocking then build your own unit and get a GOOD air cooler or go with water- upgrading to a newer generation of computer is always faster in the long run anyway- of course I am writing this on a two year old, air cooled core 2 running at 3.91 ghz.

EDIT: If the current bios is messed up then the hdd format won't help- the motherboard info won't make it to windows and it will fail to load drivers for anything because it needs info from the motherboard so after your format you will still be screwed. (more) :thumbsup:

good luck to you.

Edited by Bill1821, 20 March 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#4 rx123

rx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

thnx ill check it... yeah this was my own build but i never did any overclocking on it when i built it. i was comfortable with it but since i was doing this i figured i could read about it. I went and tried to update the bios and now i see alot of people had this problem... I also have asus

#5 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thinking about it "a fat32 bios" doesn't make sense- the mainboard doesn't care what file system windows uses? If you mean the media used needed to be on a fat32 formatted flash drive then that would be correct- but that is just because that is the file system for the mainboard and your flash drive should be formatted any way the manufacturer wants it- probably fat32..............

#6 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

thnx ill check it... yeah this was my own build but i never did any overclocking on it when i built it. i was comfortable with it but since i was doing this i figured i could read about it. I went and tried to update the bios and now i see alot of people had this problem... I also have asus

Excellent revert to your old bios- the should have every version ever made at their website!!! let us know how this works out for you.

#7 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

for my asus MB's current and old one-- access ez flash during post with alt+f2- if you saved your old bios to a memory stick before/during the previous 'upgrade' then you don't even need to go hunting for one:-)

For the old k8v (5 year old?) need a floppy drive/disk but newer board can use a flash drive-

Edited by Bill1821, 20 March 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#8 rx123

rx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

i was reading in the user under bios setup... To go to the website and download the most recent file i saved it to a flooppy and entered asus EZ flash 2 utility and followed instructions i loaded it... but i didnt make a copy of the old bios which was a phoenix bios and now i cant even enter the bios when it says press delete to enter i just recive a blankscreen. by the way it is a P5n-E SLI

yeah on saving the old bios... i didnt do that and thats what i am doing now hunting for something...

Edited by rx123, 20 March 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#9 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

Here is a link- I would try one that is NOT a beta- read the updates from about the time you purchased yours and if none of the 'improvments' apply then maybe go back down to try and find your old one- recommend reading every detail as sometimes a version won't apply to europe or america or ?????. If it doesn't work then try another- theres 18 of them--

Here: http://support.asus.com/download/download....del=P5N-E%20SLI

#10 rx123

rx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

i just may not be doing this right now i am in dos.... with a title Welcome to ASUSS Motherboard Make Disk for DOS Menu

#11 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:48 PM

My p5k book says the motherboard support disc has it- put it in and cntr-alt-del.

#12 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

THIS BOOK I FOUND IS FOR AN AWARD BIOS> oops

This is from YOUR book--just in case you misplaced it

Attached File  P5n.jpg   282.08KB   7 downloads

Edited by Bill1821, 21 March 2010 - 12:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users