Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Stereo Mix with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grayson4

grayson4

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

Hey Ya'll.
I did a search for this in the forums, and I couldn't find any topic that discussed this...so if there's a post already, I apologize.

Here's my problem. I have a new HP G60-630US Laptop complete with Windows 7. There is no Stereo Mix option in my playback devices. I have clicked the "Show Disabled/Disconnected" options, but nothing shows except the speakers (Conexant Pebble HiDef Smart Audio) and my Microphone.

When I had XP, I had the ability to click Stereo Mix, and I could play music in a chatroom, or record music for mixes from my mp3s without putting a microphone to the speakers. It played back through the soundcard, which enabled a clear, crisp sound. Windows 7 doesn't have this feature. I'm looking for a solution. I understand that there are a few options, but I'd like detailed input from any of ya'll.

Here's what I've read:
- I can download a free sound recorder program. (I've tried several, and they all require the Stereo Mix option enabled, which I don't have)
- I can purchase a USB sound card. (I'm open to this option, however I understand that most USB sound cards will work through the sound card that's connected to my computer anyways, so it's pointless.) I need more information for purchasing a sound card that will have Stereo Mix independently on it....and a low price would be nice.
- I can purchase several different cords to make a sound loop that will record from my speakers to my microphone. (I bought a laptop because I wanted to cut down on the amount of space used. Having a bunch of cords defeats the purpose, but if it's the cheapest option, I'm open to it....I just need to know what kind of cords and how to hook them up.)

Okay ya'll. That's what I've read. Can anyone help me?

By the way, I have spoken to HP. They informed me that the laptops and computer will start coming out with no stereo mix option because they are helping in the anti-piracy fight. Yes...that's what he said.

Thanks!

Valerie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

By the way, I have spoken to HP. They informed me that the laptops and computer will start coming out with no stereo mix option because they are helping in the anti-piracy fight. Yes...that's what he said.

Really? Huh....that's interesting.

I used to not have stereo mix on my Dell laptop until I updated the sound card driver. I had tried in vain for weeks to get Stereo Mix, but once I realized I needed the new driver (and installed it), it worked like a charm.

But like you said, if the manufacturers are going to disable it in the hardware itself, updated drivers won't help you.

But we can still try.

32-bit/64-bit sound driver (updated in March, this month)

I checked, and the 32-bit and 64-bit sound drivers are exactly the same (same file from the same web address). So we don't have to worry about which bit you have.

See if that new sound driver gives you your Stereo Mix. Like I said, if the manufacturers are going to disable it (we don't know if yours is already disabled, or just doesn't have the drivers to do it), then there is nothing we can do. But try those new drivers and see what happens. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 grayson4

grayson4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

Really? Huh....that's interesting.

I used to not have stereo mix on my Dell laptop until I updated the sound card driver. I had tried in vain for weeks to get Stereo Mix, but once I realized I needed the new driver (and installed it), it worked like a charm.

But like you said, if the manufacturers are going to disable it in the hardware itself, updated drivers won't help you.

But we can still try.

32-bit/64-bit sound driver (updated in March, this month)

I checked, and the 32-bit and 64-bit sound drivers are exactly the same (same file from the same web address). So we don't have to worry about which bit you have.

See if that new sound driver gives you your Stereo Mix. Like I said, if the manufacturers are going to disable it (we don't know if yours is already disabled, or just doesn't have the drivers to do it), then there is nothing we can do. But try those new drivers and see what happens. :thumbsup:

I've gone to the HP website, and updated the Conexant driver that they had posted...it's the same as what I already have. I clicked your link, and it says the driver cannot find the device. I don't know if your driver update is for a Conexant Pebble HiDef Smart Audio...but it didn't work. I believe some HP laptops have the ability to update the driver and get Stereo Mix, however the ones with Conexant don't. I've been to their website and they are no help, either. That's why I'm trying to find a work-around. I'd LOVE to be able to get it to work through the computer, but there have been many forums and answers that I've read that say that Conexant and HP are unwilling to fix the problem for this particular sound card.
Any other help would be great, though. Thank you :flowers:

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, I got nothing then. :flowers:

Updating the driver was the only thing I knew to do, but since that didn't do it, you'll have to do one of the methods you listed (unless somebody else comes along with a better solution).

Sorry I couldn't be of better help. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

I heard this was coming. It's a shame because I'm recording the stereo mix right now -- an NPR show -- and as far as I know it's still legal to record for personal use (time shifting -- I'm about to make dinner for the family) as long as you don't crack any digital encryption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users