Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suspected malware- internet browsing almost impossible although connected to the internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gb_

gb_

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

greetings,

I got:
windows xp proffesional service pack 3 updated recently

nod 32 antivirus
zone alarm

the problem:

since 3 days I cant browse the web although im connected. I can use skype, play poker online, but when i use my web browsers (internet explorer 8, mozilla firefox, chrome) I can barely browse. this meas i can see one website but cannot see ten others. Or when i can see one website when i try to see other pages in it gets stuck on a blank page. this seems to happen randomly (meaning that sometimes one website will work and sometimes it wont, but mostly wont).
I have spoken with my internet provider and after hours of counselling they deduced the problem is in my computer. they are most probably right cause when i connect my girlfriend's computer to the router it works fine.
I dont remember installing any new program. or doing any changes to my computer.

I performed scans by:
malwarebites
nod 32 antivirus
avg antivirus
super antyspyware
ad-aware
adware spyware se

all in safe mode and normal mode

and also runned atf cleaner

I tryed turning off all my antivirus and spyware software, and my firewall- to see if its blocking something
i tryed browsing in safe mode with networking

nothing helped!!

What can i do?
Can u assist?

Thank you

Gabriel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. The primary concern with doing so is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously and issues with Windows resource management. Even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus may interpret the activity of the other as malicious behavior and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus or a suspicious file and then the other also finds the same, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus or suspicious file. Each anti-virus may attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it at the same time resulting in a resource management issue as to which program gets permission to act first. If one anit-virus finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for malware and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. Further, dual installation is not always possible because most of the newer anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to download and installation of another. Nonetheless, to avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a timeTry resetting Internet Explorer. Doing this will reset the browser back to the way it was when initially installed.

Reset Internet Explorer Settings in XP or Vista using the automatic Fix it button in the instructions provided by Microsoft on that page. To manually reset the settings do this:
  • Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
  • Click Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open box, type: inetcpl.cpl
  • Click OK or press Enter.
  • If using Vista, click Start and type inetcpl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
The Internet Options dialog box appears.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under "Reset Internet Explorer settings", click Reset. Then click Reset again.
  • When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" dialog box.
  • Start Internet Explorer again.
  • Instructions with screenshots if needed.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Niffnorb

Niffnorb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Gabriel, (and Amy),

I think we may all have the same problem.
See my post: Firefox AND IE only load partial pages
See Amy's post: Browser Only Opens One Page

We may want to try out each others' proposed solutions as long as they are NOT case-specific. I tried quietman7's suggestion to Gabriel to reset IE settings - It made no improvement.

-Niffnorb

#4 gb_

gb_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hi Niffnorb and Quitman7,
thanx for your quick replies.

Regarding your post quitman:
I installed nod3 (and by that employed 2 antivirus programs) only after encountering the mentioned problem, hence it couldn't be the cause of it.
In any case, i will uninstall avg and run a scan with nod 32, maybe that will help.
Regarding internet explorer: i uninstalled it and installed it anew to no avail. Besides, the problem occurs also when using mozilla and chrome browsers.

Do u have any other suggestions?

Niffnrob,
your case does seem to be very similar to mine.

I will try to tun tfc, but i doubt it will help. I also restored my computer to an earlier date when i didn't have the problem and it didn't help.
the next step would probably be repairing windows and if that don't help the ultimate and most hated of all:
re-installing windows.
May god help us all, or some awesome nerd.

Edited by gb_, 20 March 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Not A Happy Camper

Not A Happy Camper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

I tried repairing windows last night to resolve the issue and it didn't work. I'm afraid I'll have to do a clean install.

#6 gb_

gb_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

dude hope has arrived!

it appears for now that I managed to solve the problem.
I tell u what i did:
installed nod32 instead of avg- did 2 deep scans to all my discs (safe mode and normal mode)
i also installed total advance care and did a registry fix as well as a disc defragmentation.

I have a feeling that the disc difragmentation did the trick cause thats the last thing i did before it got solved.
I did this in safe mode.

try it and let me know.

#7 Not A Happy Camper

Not A Happy Camper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

I was unable to uninstall AVG the normal way, so I had to use a special removal tool. Installed and ran NOD 32 (safe and normal modes) and my PC seems to be malware free. Browsing is back to normal as well (woo hoo). :thumbsup: I can't thank you all enough for you suggestions!

#8 Niffnorb

Niffnorb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

GB_ or Not...,

What did NOD32 find? Any idea how you got it?

Edited by Niffnorb, 21 March 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#9 gb_

gb_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:25 AM

I dont know what it had found cause i cant find the log.
A friend of mine gave me the program, and its a 30 day trial but i think ill buy it.

What i suggest to u is as i said earlier:
1. clean up your temp
2. download advanced total care and clean up with it, do a registry scan
3. scan with nod 32 in safe mode

thats what i did and it worked.

Let me know if it helps.

cheers dude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users