Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Vs Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reyak

reyak

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hey all. Alright, so I really want to have Ubuntu as my OS, but there is a single glitch. I have a MagicJack. For those who don't know, MJ is a little USB thingie that looks similar to a flash drive, that allows for a VOIP, phone line. Anyway, my problem is, MJ runs an EXE. I have tried a bunch of ways to get Ubuntu to use it, including Wine, and VBox, an OS emulator. None of these things work.

I have looked online, in as many places as I know to look, but I have not found a solution, but have seen rumors to that effect. Does anyone know how I may get MJ to run on Ubuntu?

If not, can someone point me in the direction of a working Windows Clone?...A free one, lol. I tried one, (I don't recall the name....ready? reality?) and should have read more about it before installing it over a basically working OS....They apparently had not finished the network part of it yet...a little pointless to release it then if you ask me....

Anyway, I'd be thankful for any heads up you can give me.

Reyak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

this won't be of much help to you, but magicjack has announced compatibility with linux for the first quarter of 2010: http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq/ So there is hope, however it had also announced support for mid 2009, then end 2009 and currently first quarter of 2010, so it may just be an empty promise.

Looking at this unofficial supportforum: link there doesn't seem to be a way to install MJ that works for everyone. However they have a list of softphones that will work on linux: here.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thank you, I will check all that out, and see what I come up with. By the way, they must have some dumb people, or really smart computer programs running their tech support chat. I chatted with one for about an hour and a half.

"she" repeated the same instructions several times throughout the same conversation, and kept posting a link to the MJ Fix program no matter how many times I told her not to. I already downloaded it, and the link, for whatever reason kept forwarding me out of the chat.

All the responses were very repetitive, so I figured she was a bot. I asked an odd question....'red green blue, what is the second color?'...she got it right, lol. Felt like an idiot. :thumbsup:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

My only advice is to try a Linux LiveCD of Ubuntu first.

#5 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Why would I use the Live CD when I have Ubuntu installed?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

I didnt see that you have Ubuntu installed in your OP, so I was assuming based on the info I had that you still had windows.

#7 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

I do have Windows installed with Ubuntu as a backup. Either way, what good would it do? If I use ubuntu, I cannot get the MagicJack to work. What I am looking for is a way to get the jack to work WITHIN Ubuntu, or a free OS in which it does work.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

can you run lsusb as root and post the results?

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

This maybe a key to getting somewhere,,,

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=214367

Info there with Mint and ubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users