Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Weirdest Shut Downs - You Gotta Hear About It!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kujax12

Kujax12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

Computer Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4ghz
Graphics Card: BFB NVIDIA 8800GTS
Motherboard: ASUS P5B
Memory: 2GB Patriot PC2 6400 RAM
Power Supply: Aero Cool 650W
Hard Drive: 320GB Seagate
Thermaltake Cooling System
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Here is my problem:

The computer is very fast(could be better with better RAM), has 5 or 6 fans buzzing around in there and the graphics card is great. It runs most every game out there and can handle Adobe CS4 without even missing a step. However, when I am off of the computer for a few hours, and itís on, it will just randomly shut off.

My first thought was that it was too hot, but I check the temperature inside the tower in system setup and itís mid-40ís and I honestly have an amazing cooling system. So I doubt it shuts off because it gets too hot. Then I went and looked at the tower and on the mother board there is a bright green light that is on!? So I have to flip the switch on the power supply and then 3-5 seconds later the light on the mother board shuts off. Then I turn the power supply back on and then turn the computer on and it fires right back up again, no problems at all?!

I just donít know what this could be?? What would cause the computer to shut off, but the motherboard is still on until I turn the power supply off? Is it the graphics card? Does RAM have anything to do with it? I am so clueless and canít afford to go pay a repair shop $70/hr to diagnose it! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Could be infected with a virus.

#3 Kujax12

Kujax12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

I just reformatted on Monday, so there really is nothing on the hard drive! So I don't think it's that.. And what is weird, is when I turn it back on, it will run for a few days just fine and then out of nowhere it just shuts off, but the MOBO stays on! so weird?!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

What are your power saving settings?

#5 Kujax12

Kujax12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:55 AM

They are on balanced. Do you think it could be Windows 7 shutting the computer off if I don't use it for 30 minutes? Or do you think it is a hardware problem? I feel like the parts are new enough, and it works fine when it's on.. I wish there was a master chip that could tell you EXACTLY what was wrong without testing each component individually

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

Check the power settings. Turn them all off.

#7 Kujax12

Kujax12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

So I went and changed the display turn off time to 1 minute and the sleep mode time to 1 minute and sure enough, at the one minute mark the screen turned off and about 5 seconds later the system turned off! THANK GOD!! You are a life saver my good man I went and turned display turn off time to 30 mins and sleep mode to never so now the screen will rest but my system wont shut off. You made my night dude

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

Anytime happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users