Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes a lot.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 k77996

k77996

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Original problem:
Hello, I've been having a problem for as long as I can remember. Whenever I start up my computer, it freezes at a black screen with my gpu fan running at its highest. After maybe 4 or 5 restarts, it finally opens into window. This has been going on for quite some time, but recently my computer has been crashing a lot. There are sudden restarts, blue screens, and freezes with distorted sounds. I want to perform a system restore, but I don't think that is the problem. I am also pretty sure that heat is not the issue either. I have cleaned out my whole computer and even added a couple fans to help cooling. I think the problem is with my hard drive which becomes silent when I have random freezes.

I am running an hp desktop with dual monitors on a geforce 9600 GT graphics card, a second 650g hard disk, and an AMD athlon x2 processor running Windows Vista Home Premium. The computer is all stock except for the psu, graphics card, and second hard disk.

I am very tempted to buy a completely new hard disk and install a brand new OS on it instead of having to back up all my files. If I do so, will there be a way to access the information with windows vista already installed?
If anyone could help me with my problem it'd be great. I've also noticed that i crash/freeze almost always when I have youtube open with google chrome and my computer glitches while playing only warcraft 3. I haven't seen any problems while playing other games with better graphics.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
*update*
I decided to unplug all my wires and graphics card and dust my computer. It is no longer having crashing problems, but I can not get my computer to recognize the graphics card. It is a nvidia 9600GT. I have disabled the onboard graphics card as well as changed the bios to use the PCI-E slot. I also installed the drivers that i downloaded off nvidias website because i don't have the physical cd. if anyone could help, it'd be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

Does your power supply have enough wattage?

#3 pnjunction

pnjunction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:26 AM

pull the card. remove the fan cowl, clean out under it. That needs to be done usually every three months or so.

What alot of people dont realize when they put ten zillion fans in their case is they turn their computer into an room air filter, and it collects dust quickly.

#4 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

I'm pretty sure my power supply is has enough wattage because the same system has been running for a while. But is there something that I can check it with? I was originally running an 8600 but my friend bought a 9600gt that he couldn't get to work, so I swapped it out on my computer and it worked fine. My old 8600 works fine on his computer too. Could it be the motherboard?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Check the side of your power supply for the amount of power on the 12 volt rails, or you can provide me the power supply model number or computer model number.

#6 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

I changed the psu when I was using the 8600. It's a Cooler Master extreme power plus 460w. My friend got the 9600gt on ebay so no drivers or instructions came with it.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Who made the 9600GT can you get an exact model number?

#8 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

It is a XFX GeForce 9600GT 650m 512mb ddr3 dual dvi tv pci-e. Thats pretty much all i can get from the card itself.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

According to XFX you need a 600w power supply minimum yours produces 312watts total on the 12 volt rails and add that to other components then you will need a new PSU. Can you provide a model number that should be on there.

#10 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

I'm looking around and I see an ordering code: PV-T96G-YHF BVJ.0 W12/09
I googled PV-T96G-YHF and saw a few xfx 9600gt that were similar, but not exactly like the one I have.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

I would say that you bought a lemon off of eBay.

#12 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

really? because it worked up till now. Did it just brake? The fan runs at 100% whether or not i have the 6 pin cord plugged in.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

buying stuff off ebay is very risky.

#14 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

I tried again putting the graphics card in after disabling the onboard and changing the BIOS. When i turn on the computer, the on/off button light flashes on and off for a while before becoming solid and booting up. Only the onboard vga port displays and it just runs with no graphics support. If i try installing the drivers off the nvidia website, it just boots up with my onboard. I don't want to have to spend more money on a new graphics card. Is there anywhere I can download an iso or cd image of the original drivers? I really want to get this to work. Thanks for all the help so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users