Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/Patched, blue screens ahoy.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaxG

MaxG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

To start with, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with Windows XP SP2. I didn't create a recovery CD, and if the system came with one, I can't find it anywhere. The thing is very near toast, but I'd like to get it working without reformatting (if I even could).

The story: One day, a bunch of trojans hit me out of the blue. I don't know how or why, I wasn't browsing anything unusual nor had I installed anything odd, save for a couple MS frameworks (A good number of other people had installed them as well; they were required for a particular game. No big problems in most cases). The system became unresponsive and laggy, and my wireless connection seemed to be hijacked or something of the kind; it wouldn't shut itself off, and after a reboot, it wouldn't turn on to begin with. I tried system restore (hindsight is 20/20, but it always worked before) and the problem went away for a bit, but trojans kept popping up. Before long, I got a blue screen, complete with weird green glitch lines popping up all over it. (Horizontal bars, not vertical stripes). I went to safe mode to scan with Avira, which found one trojan. On deleting it, I shut down, and a warning message came up. I don't know the content, as it popped up less than a second before the user had logged out and the system was shutting down. Now, since then I haven't been able to boot Windows even in safe mode without bluescreening - I get the message:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B, (0xF796B520, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

First, I ran diagnostics to check all the hard drive and memory stuff. Apparently that was all good. Admittedly I have not run CHKDSK specifically, as I don't know how to do that without Windows running.

Then, I used AVG's rescue CD and found ~9 trojans and a virus, Win32/Patched something. Now for the part where I may have done something stupid. I deleted the trojans with no problem and renamed the Win32 file (AVG's utility will append _infected.arl to a file when this is chosen). Apparently it was important to, y'know, Windows functioning.

Subsequent scans find no malware, but I need a replacement for whatever windows file is apparently infected. Dell gives me the runaround when I try to contact customer support in Canada, and the only other discs I have are for Toshiba laptops and a Certified Data desktop, none of which will cooperate. I've heard it's possible to run system restore and fix windows system files even when the thing is BSoD'd, but I have no idea how to do so.

If there's anything I can do to make the system bootable again, I'd greatly appreciate any help. The easy path of reformatting isn't available to me, as said, so this is basically all or nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaxG

MaxG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

Update: I've found a recovery partition I can access by pressing Ctrl+F11 when booting the system, but it only gives me the option to reformat completely or reboot. Is there any way I could pull necessary system files from that partition to the main one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users