Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:09 PM
I have a reasonably fast Dell box running XP SP3 Home. On 3/17/10 the web became unusable via BOTH Internet Explorer 8 (IE) and Firefox 3.5.8 (and now 3.6) (FF) because web pages either do not display at all or only display partially.
When I open FF, with a default home page of MSNBC.COM, the title changes to “Breaking News, …” (the usual MSNBC title) but the page remains blank. The progress indicator continues to rotate and the status remains “Transferring data from www.msnbc.msn.com…” Sometimes the top part of the page will appear. If I click in the address area (highlighting the entire address) and press enter without stopping the previous attempt to display the page, then the page may appear, but not always. Repeating this a number of times usually causes the page to be displayed. Even then the page usually never truly completes. The progress indicator continues to rotate.
I discovered that, if I right-click and View Page Source, the entire page seems to be loaded and, one would think, available to the browser. This is true for BOTH IE and FF.
Clicking on additional links may display the new page, part of the new page, or none of it.
The problem does not depend on the complexity of the page. It occurs on simple pages like Google.com and the Hotmail login page as well as the MSNBC.COM page. The BleepingComputer.com page usually displays only about the top 2 inches, through the “Welcome guest … New Member” line.
For several months I have used OpenDNS as my DNS server via settings in my D-Link DI-604 router. Another computer (XP SP3 Pro) using the same router and same DNS has no problems with either browser.
Things that are NOT happening:
No spurious pop-ups
No warnings that the computer is infected.
No general slowness
No browser hijacking or redirection of any pages
Things I have tried which made no difference:
AVG scan – no malware reported (adware ignored)
MalwareBytes scan – found various adware tracking and one item reported to be related to Trojan.vundo. Because of this I used Rkill.exe and then reinstalled and updated MalwareBytes – no additional problems found. Then I found and ran VundoFix.exe – no problems found.
SuperAntiSpyware scan – various adware tracking found but no serious problems
Removed all Flash Cookies – seemed like something that might affect both browsers