Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$20 to whoever helps me fix this browser hijack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sethseth

sethseth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Google search results are getting hijacked and new tabs open every once in a while to ad pages. This is happening on Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari. I have installed and run Malwarebytes, spybot, adaware, and superAntispyware to try to fix this. running XP pro 32bit. I had no antivirus software installed till I noticed this problem. I'll ship you $20 on any major US poker site cause I'm a pro poker player. more if its fast. Thanks in advance for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitpusher

bitpusher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

Sounds very much like a little bugger I was just digging out a few hours ago. Try running Hitman Pro 3.5 - if it alerts on atapi.sys... Huston we have a rootkit.

#3 High_Country

High_Country

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

I was able to resolve a similar problem with TDSSkiller. You can keep the 20, I suck at poker.

#4 sethseth

sethseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

hitman pro worked. lol that was easy, i should post a reward on here more when i have problems. my previous post got ignored:) bitpusher pm me if you want 20.

#5 bitpusher

bitpusher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

... and if this is the same rootkit - I had to use the Recovery Console to swap out the offending sys file.

Excellent!! It took me a while to dig up enough information to fix my computer.

There was so little information online from the generic searches I had to go on, I just figured I'd look up this forum and see if there were any similar issues.

As you can see from my post count, it's not like I'm a regular... I'm just glad my pain did someone some good.

Edited by bitpusher, 19 March 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#6 bitpusher

bitpusher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

And, I have subsequently discovered a-squared's free scanner will identify this one as well. I ran it after manually replacing atapi.sys, and it found the atapi.bad I had renamed. I'm certainly going to pay more attention to both of those tools in the future.

Use you $ to buy a six-pack or two of Smithwick's :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users