Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best combination for total online security?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shaamoney

shaamoney

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

I have recently suffered my first malware/virus that has completely got me beat. I currently run AntiVir (Avira) and Windows firewall. In the past I have used AVG and Zonealarm, and have numerous malware/spyware bits installed (Spybot, MalwareBytes, A-squared, SuperAntiSypware... etc etc).

My question is this... what is the best firewall, antivirus and spyware/malware protection? I am happy to pay for it if needs be. I used to detest Norton, but apparently this has got a lot better. NOD32 seems another good alternative.

Advice/input/opinions welcome!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

ESET Smart Security 4 is my recommendation!

and have numerous malware/spyware bits installed (Spybot, MalwareBytes, A-squared, SuperAntiSypware... etc etc).

Yep, those should be under consideration.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition, avast! or Comodo for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

You should check out the free security recommendations here.

#5 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

I'm more of a fan of paid programs myself. Not that there is anything wrong with the free ones.. I just choose to have an all in one security suite.

Right now I'm using both Norton Internet Security 2010 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (on different machines, ofcourse). They are both very fast, and seem to be very effective.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'll share the beer with the folk who answered here.

Good router with SPI firewall from Linksys or NetGear

Real time:

Online Armor Premium
Prevx with Prevx SafeOnline Browser Protection
Sandboxie (paid version)

Passive protection:

SpywareBlaster, with autoupdate (ten dollars a year)
Wormguard

Trojan Remover, scans at boot, ondemand scanner

This is the average, usual, RAM and VM usage of the three realtime programs above:

oacat.exe services.exe 1.97 2.30
oahlp.exe oaui.exe 1024 KB 6.23
oasrv.exe services.exe 8.05 18.57
oaui.exe explorer.exe 7.99 6.71

prevx.exe services.exe 10.48 6.52
prevx.exe prevx.exe 14.38 6.88

sbiectrl.exe explorer.exe 7.00 2.89
sbiesvc.exe services.exe 2.40 1.05

These three, add 'em up, use a little more RAM than NOD32, a really fine antivirus that has a small RAMprint.
Then add Rootkit Unhooker, IceSword, or GMER according to your computer knowledge level, and SUPERAntispyware

The router that I use WRT54G2 V1 has 240mhz proc., 8 mb ram, and 2 mb flash, NAT and SPI firewall.

This is my core security
Online Armor Premium
Prevx with Prevx SafeOnline Browser Protection
Sandboxie (paid version)
SpywareBlaster, with autoupdate (ten dollars a year)
Trojan Remover, scans at boot, ondemand scanner
Wormguard

Security should also include backup solutions. I use Mozy Home online backup, DriveImage XML, and ERUNT (for registry), and I burn permanent files to disk or dvd with CDBurnerXP software (it's free and very good).

Choose either SeaMonkey, my choice, or Firefox and Thunderbird for browser and email client.

I actually use SeaMonkey (default), Firefox, K-Meleon, and IE 7. Opera is the most secure browser with installed defaults. The Gecko browsers are as secure with BetterPrivacy, NoScript, CS Lite, RefControl, and WOT. Use the Phish filters in the browsers.

The most important program is the human brain with just a tincture of paranoia.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users