Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access C: drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have two Dell laptops one is a latitude D600 and the other is a new Inspiron 1440, both are running MS Windows XP professional. I think it all started with some updates that came in recently one being March 2010 update or something to that effect and a few KB?????? something or another (I didn't write them down). Now when I click on my C: drive to access program files, and etc it opens a window asking what program do I want to use to open this file, but if I right click and chose the explore option poof no problem I can open my C: drive. Just weird, is it something to do with the new updates? Ive heard this is happening to a couple of my buddies computers too at their work places and they told me that their IT guy said that it is an update problem and there will be an update to fix the update glitch, I don't like that answer. Basically is there a fix to this problem, I hope, I don't like waiting for MS updates to fix things.
I have ran Malwarebytes, I use AVG on one computer and AVAST on the other, I like them both so I used em on two computers, I've even used RKILL to make sure nothing nasty is running. I'd really like to know if there is a fix, but, its not a real big issue just annoying if anything.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice or fixes.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have been researching this dilemma and it seems that this might just be an isolated incident only happening in South Central Louisiana, very strange. I will continue my quest and will post any cures/fixes I find or if it fixes itself I will post that as well. If anyone can help that would be awesome, many thanks.

#3 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Did you try loading a restore point prior to the updates?

Could just be still celebrating the football game :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill1821, 23 March 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#4 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply Bill, but alas I have tried a restore point, actually two and still not working properly.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

You may want to try the Disk Heal utility, http://download.cnet.com/Disk-Heal/3000-2094_4-10718035.html.

I've not used this and am not endorsing it as a fix...just noting that it's one of many utilities that are in the public domain.

Louis

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

Your issue usually happen, when the computer is/was infected, so I'd also create new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure, your computer is clean.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users