Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removal of security guard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandygee

sandygee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

thanks to your advice I was able to remove the security guard rogue virus.
But you suggest ...

17.As this infection also changes your Windows HOSTS file, we want to replace this file with the default version for your operating system. Please note that if you or your company has added custom entries to your HOSTS file then you will need to add them again after restoring the default HOSTS file. In order to protect itself, Security Guard changes the permissions of the HOSTS file so you can't edit or delete it. To fix these permissions please download the following batch file and save it to your desktop:

Hostsperm.bat Download Link
When the file has finished downloading, double-click on the hostsperm.bat file that is now on your desktop. If Windows asks if you if you are sure you want to run it, please allow it to run. Once it starts you will see a small black window that opens and then quickly goes away. This is normal and is nothing to be worried about. You should now be able to access your HOSTS file.

18.We now need to delete the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file. Once it is deleted, download the following HOSTS file that corresponds to your version of Windows and save it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder.

Windows XP HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2003 HOSTS File Download Link
Windows Vista HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2008 HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 7 HOSTS File Download Link
Your Windows HOSTS file should now be back to the default one from when Windows was first installed.

i cannot replace the host file. i have Vista. i have copied and pasted what is on the download link after deleting my current Host. It says unable to change. when I try to save it.
Is this necessary ? Im stuck.
thank you

Edited by sandygee, 19 March 2010 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hoverdave

hoverdave

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

It sounds a bit to me like you're having trouble deleting the hosts file; I use Unlocker from http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ for those files I find a bit painful to get rid of (that aren't viral). If it doesn't help in your case, you might be dealing with something that is actively blocking modification of your hosts file, which would mean getting help from someone here other than me. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

#3 hoverdave

hoverdave

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

I should add that this is a URL directly to the download: http://www.brothersoft.com/download-unlocker-208761.html

I noticed there were quite a few additional download links that might have made the real thing ™ a little confusing to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users