Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What up with this?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave M.D.

Dave M.D.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

I recently had XP antivirus 2010 pop up on my computer. I kept closing the window as it would run its bogus virus scan. (Later I read that in may install something no matter where you click :thumbsup: )
After several times of this it ask if I want to stop this fake program from running... When I clicked yes it went away but also disabled (sytem32 run.dll) file. Then I couldn't get anything to open (Got a missing file msg.) Once I got that corrected,
a few days later XP antivirus 2010 showed up again. This time just moved XP antvirus window to the side and ran spybot.
It found a few items and I clicked yes to fix.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter)

Restarted computer and XP antivirus was no longer popping up, but then I went to run windows defender to see if it could find anything and was notified defender could not update. I tried to manually to go to widows update and I get page "can't be displayed'. I then ran Norton and it said threat detected (Backdoor.Tidserv!inf) and clean and quarantine failed. Access denied.

I followed the instruction from this site on removing XP antivirus 2010 and down loaded and ran Malwarebytes.
I have ran it about six times and the one thing that keeps showing up is:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

What does this mean? If it has been " Quarantined and deleted successfully" why does it keep showing up?
I thought maybe if I restored the above mentioned in spybot it might resolve my windows up date connection problem and Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) notice. But I also am hesitant because I don't want also restore all the XP antivirus notification junk and any bugs that seem to be associated with it.
Any assistance getting stuff returned to normal working condition is much appreciated.
Thanks!............... Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

FWIW: BC Removal Guide.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users