Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's an .h file?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

I was just opening Firefox and Thunderbird on my laptop when all of a sudden this file msdtcprf.h showed up on my desktop. I have almost no icons on my desktop so I noticed it immediately.

I double clicked on it and it opened a text file in notepad. Nothing in there references anything I recognize other then it seems to be a log of some sort. The file is only 80 KB in size

I use WIN XP pro

Thanks for any ideas. A Google search didn't help me any.
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms...%29.aspx?ppud=4
DTC performance monitor header file

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Broni, I read your link until my head started to hurt and the eyes were beginning to bleed, but I think since I have a copy of this file in my Windows\system32 folder, I'm going to assume the one on my desktop got copied there by some divine action. I'm going to try to delete and see if my computer can survive without it on the desktop.e your opinion. If you have any concern about me trying that let me know as I value your opinion, otherwise thanks for your help. It's always appreciated.
Floyd

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

I have that file two locations:
C:\Windows\inf\MSDTC
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-c..gement-perfcounters_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_232070fbac071008

I doubt, it's needed on your desktop, but to play it safe, rename the file from msdtcprf.h to msdtcprf.old and see, if over next couple of days something will complain about it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users