Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with XP home...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 annakathleen

annakathleen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

I am running XP home edition on a Compaq Presario..I know first mistake...but until upgrades can be made I have to make due. I can't seem to get some programs that have been long since deleted(or so I thought) out of the populated list under ADD/REMOVE programs. When I click on the change/remove button these programs will begin the uninstall process then I get a message that the uninstall program cannot be found. The programs don't seem to be there, it just seems like I can't get them off that particular list...can anyone tell me how to do this? I should mention that some of these programs are from cd's, for instance my children's games. I have reinstalled these games and then tried to uninstall again, but still after removing the program am left with these programs on my populated list with the same errors as before. Any clues??
One more thing, how does one make sure a game, program, or file is really deleted from the computer? I deleted the above programs from windows explorer and thought that would remove it from the populated list...apparently not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

It is never a good idea to try to remove programs by deleting files from Windows Explorer.
If you deleted any shared dlls you could have major problems throughout your system.

Some programs have their own process to delete themselves.
Look in start/programs and place the mouse over the name of the program to see if it opens sub menus with delete or uninstall choices.

Other than that, or with add/remove programs in the control panel, you will need some registry modifications.

If you are not totally familiar with the registry, unless you get expert assistance from someone who is, I would leave the entry in add/remove alone as it is not affecting or interfering with anything else.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hello annakathleen and welcome to BC.

You can use Add/Remove Pro v. 2.08 to try to uninstall those programs. If thats not successful it can remove those entries from the list.

Ccleaner also has a tool to remove programs. If the program can't be removed, you will be given the option to remove the entry in the list. Open Ccleaner and click on Tools. You might want to clean up your hard drive while your at it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 annakathleen

annakathleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

Thank you so much for quick replies. I am going to the CCleaner right now. What about all these registry cleaners, I saw one I could download for 37.00 and it promised to clean over 700 reg errors....do these really work? I am thinking not....anyone used these?

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Thank you so much for quick replies. I am going to the CCleaner right now. What about all these registry cleaners, I saw one I could download for 37.00 and it promised to clean over 700 reg errors....do these really work? I am thinking not....anyone used these?

You have to be very careful when searching for spyware applications, some are scams that make you pay for them, then create errors just to fix so it looks like its doing work.

To find if a program is good or not usually google it for reviews and warnings.

However, some good registry cleaners are:

the one included with the issues selection of crap cleaner....usually these are safe to fix, but have a trained someone look over it for errors and such.

Also, pc tools registry mechanic over at pctools.com thats a good one.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

Unless you are fairly expert in the registry, and usage of programs which alter or change the registry, using them can be the fastest way to turn your computer into a boat anchor.

Make sure you make a backup of the registry before you allow the registry to be altered or changed and learn how to restore it should you experience a problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 September 2005 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users