Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LS14

LS14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi, I have been trying to resurrect my old laptop but it seems to be full of viruses.

I can connect to the internet, but I can't access antivirus sites using any browser.

I managed to download Malwarebytes' anti-malware using my other computer and this showed lots of viruses, which it quarantined. Subsequent scans were clean but ... still no access to antivirus websites.

Doing more scans later (next day) with Malwarebytes showed a number of viruses again.

I did a scan with GMer, and it said that it suspected a rootkit in svchost.exe. I don't know what to do about this, because the options are to disable the service or delete it, which I'm pretty sure I shouldn't do!

I don't have the original install discs anymore - any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 LS14

LS14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Broni, I'll do that. I'll post a link here once I've completed the other steps.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Sounds good :thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users