Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

I recently had my computer crash, Its a HP about 6 years old. I lost everything because the computer would not even boot up. Before the crash everything was working well and the machine opperated pretty effeciently. I took the computer to a company to see if they could retreave some of the date that I could not afford to loose. They retreved all of my pictures, My documents and music. They put in another hard drive, reloaded Windows XP, and loaded Nortions internet security. When I set the machine back up it is like watching paint dry to wait for windows to open a window or program. I tryed defraging the hard drive and that has not helped much. I have since reloaded Itunes and photo shop. Way more that that was on the computer before. and it ran pretty fast. Can someone help me find out why its runneing so slow......The computer is slow, when I go onto the internet it seems to run fine.

Thank you for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

Do you have any warranty from computer shop?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

I am willing to bet Norton is part of the problem, it is resource hog!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

How can I turn some of the norton stuff off so that I'ts not taking up so many resources?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Did you get charged for Norton? If not you may want to consider dumping it, it is not on the desirable list of must haves. There are some great freebies that will let your system run up to snuff, do some poking around here!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users