Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with restoring Laptop XP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sm00th

Sm00th

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hello forum, I need some help with restoring my laptop, heres some background:

Due to a "specified domain error" every time I try to login to my laptop, I'm having to restore my computer (which is the only fix to this problem). I CANNOT access Windows at ALL.

Now for the restoration process, I have a few questions and one BIG question.

1. Can I restore my computer to factory settings with an original Windows XP SP2 Installation Disk? What is the difference between this Windows XP Installation Disk and a "Recovery Disk"?

2. I tried using my Windows XP SP2 Installation Disk at boot-up, but it does NOT boot up! I changed my BIOS Boot settings to this:

Boot Priority Order:
1. Internal Optical Drive
2. Floppy Disk Drive (*)
3. Internal Hard Disk Drive
4. Network

And it does not boot up.

***One thing to mention, my Windows XP Installation disk is not mine, but my sisters so would that be a reason why its not working? Is there anyway around it?

If^^^Is the reason why, can someone please tell me how I can restore my laptop? Remember, I CANNOT access windows.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

A recovery disk does not contain the entire OS and is normally supplied by the manufacturer. While an install disk is normally the full OS. If an install disk is used it must match the OS and SP level of the original install or it will not work.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

With me the workd "recovery" and "restore" pertaining to computing can have several meanings.

My wife's Dell came with XP System Recovery Software which is the full Media Center OS and everything else.

It also came with a recovery CD to help repair it.

#4 Sm00th

Sm00th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

With me the workd "recovery" and "restore" pertaining to computing can have several meanings.

My wife's Dell came with XP System Recovery Software which is the full Media Center OS and everything else.

It also came with a recovery CD to help repair it.

Whichever will allow me to get a clean registry?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

a complete restore to how it came from the factory will do that.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Is your computer also a dell?

Then the disk will probably work. It may not do all you guess it might but without some info the details will remain in our heads.

We can not give you good advice without knowing what brand and model the laptop is.

Nearly all Dells since 2005 have a recovery partition that will restore your computer to the out of box version of the os.
Some have a full restore for OS and applications as bundled at point of purchase.

The Dell xp oem disks have the full version of XP, plus some dell specific programs and an overlay of the help and support program. It will install the OS on nearly any Dell made since 2002 if it has enough ram.

The drivers and major apps in the bundle come on blue and white cd's that are specific to the model they shipped with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users