Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't display 1920x1200 with onboard memory card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jason B

Jason B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

On windows XP service pack 2.

I had a separate ati card but it just died on me. I switched the bios back to the onboard video built in, which is 64mb. It's working ok on my 24" monitor, but will only do a max of 1600x1200, when my monitor should be set at 1920x1200. Is there anything I can do?

The latest driver for the onboard video
(Via/S3G UniChrome IGP Driver) is
Version: 6.14.10.194 from 2004, on HP's site for my pc...

My question is, if I go to update driver from windows device manager, I get choices for newer drivers. Would this help me get a better display res to the 1900???

Any helps or tweaks would be great! From what I'm told, this isn't a driver issue, it's a bios issue since it's windows xp. How to I hack my bios so I can tell it to display 1920x1200??? Of course the latest bios for my pc is back from 2004.

Here is all the info on my pc:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...2#c00069442_doc

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=405227

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

First, I would always take the latest driver available from the maker. WDMM drivers have a way of conflicting with some software. Second, be aware that not all video cards that work with XP necessarily work well inherently with it. Sometimes I've come across cards that are designed for Windows 7 or Vista, but "happen" to have an XP driver. Many of these cards can only get up to a certain resolution usong Windows Display Properties. With such cards, use the manufacturer's software to adjust graphics settings (such as ATI's Catalyst Control Center) and sometimes you'll achieve a higher resolution.

Most commonly though, I find the culprit to be a generic monitor driver. Generic drivers can limit the "native" resolution of a monitor, which inhibits the maximum on the resolution slider bar in Display Properties. Hunt down the proper driver for your monitor, and you may extend your maximum resolution dramatically.

-Joel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users