Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTREMELY slow startup problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi

I have a fairly new (January) Windows 7 Ultra Mobile laptop, with 3GB memory and an Intel Pentium processor. The model is a Toshiba T110-107

I have noticed for a while that start up times are extremely slow, and can take 10-15 minutes before I can use the computer. I have cleaned the registry with CCleaner, removed unnecessary start up programs, defragmented the hard drive and other tune up's using Advanced System Care Pro. I have scanned for viruses using Norton 360, malwarebytes anti malware and Trend Micro house call with clear results.

Also, when I shut down my computer more often than not I will get a window alerting me the programs are still running and asking if I want to force shutdown. The thing is, normally when this message is displayed it shows what programs are running, but it is just blank in my case. I'll post a screenshot if I can.

I really don't know what to try next

I'd appreciate your help

Thanks
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Do the following for me:

Right-click My Computer > Properties > in the bottom left corner: Performance Information and Tools > in the left pane: Advanced Tools

Under Performance Issues, report back here with all the issues listed there.

We'll work on boot times first, then shutdown times.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hi

First, thanks for that about registry cleaners. I never realized they came with more risks than advantages.
Also, shut down times seem to be OK.

Under Performance Issues it says:

Performance can be improved by changing visual settings

Programs are interfering with Windows entering sleep mode.
(These programs are Wireless Manager and Microsoft Word)

I also found these in event viewer, wasn't sure if they are of any use.

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
File Name : svchost.exe
Friendly Name : Host Process for Windows Services
Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Total Time : 513ms
Degradation Time : 141ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2010‎-‎03‎-‎18T20:50:08.827600600Z

Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 393712ms
IsDegradation : false
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2010‎-‎03‎-‎18T20:50:08.827600600Z

Thanks again
Posted Image

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

Is this your laptop? 64-bit Windows 7, right?

I was going to recommend that you download fresh drivers and install them, but it appears that they have not updated them since before you bought your laptop. :huh:

Still, it can't hurt.

Display driver
Sound driver
Synaptics touchpad driver OR Alps touchpad driver (depending on which one you have)

Make sure you reboot after installing them. Then, go to Windows Update (Start Menu search is the fastest way, or it's also listed in the Control Panel), and check for updates. If you do not already have it set to download and install updates automatically, please do so now. If there are any new updates, please install them and reboot.

Now, inside Ccleaner, go to Tools > Startup. Take a screenshot of the maximized window, or if there are too many entries to see all at once, just take 2 screenshots (one of the top half of the list and one of the bottom half of the list). Post the screenshot(s) in your next reply. I know laptops come with plenty of bloatware that is set to startup. I also know that you said you disabled some startup programs, but I want to see for myself what is set to startup. I have an idea of how I'm going to address the startup problem, but I want to see what is there first before we take action.

To review,

Install those drivers
Windows Update
Get me a list of your startup programs

The Event Viewer can be helpful, as it provides information about software or hardware that cause degradation of performance. The only problem is that there are so many events to view that you can get overwhelmed very easy. svchost.exe isn't one to worry about, but there could be others in the list that it would point you to (a certain driver or program). You'll just have to weed through all the entries in the list to find the important stuff.

#5 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi

Once again, thanks for your reply.

Toshiba has software called Tempro which is meant to alert you when driver or BIOS updates are available, but I followed your advice and downloaded the drivers you listed, and I did actually notice a slight speed increase from what it was before!

Windows Update already checks for updates daily, and there was nothing to install.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks

Connor
Posted Image

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hah, you didn't tell me you had a 1.3GHz processor (and I didn't look close enough in the specs I found, until now). And with all that bloatware set to startup...and 64-bit Windows 7...no wonder it's so slow.

I can't believe they would put a 64-bit OS into a computer with specs that crappy. Yeah, I know, 64-bit is the new thing, but that doesn't mean it is a one-size-fits-all. With such a slow processor and only 3GB of memory, there is absolutely no reason to have 64-bit. Note: I'm not scolding you, I'm scolding Toshiba.

(jumps back down off of soapbox)

Anyway...

Yeah, most new computers come with lots of "proprietary" software (aka bloatware) including ones that check for updated drivers. I have always disabled/uninstalled these programs. If a new driver comes out every 6 months, there is absolutely no reason to have that silly bloatware running, only to be used twice a year. If I want updated drivers, I'll get them myself.

Okay, for the fix...

Although I'm pretty sure all those startup programs are what's causing your slow boots, we are going to find out for sure. It could be the OS itself slowing it down, which would be compounded by all the startup programs (slow processor doesn't help matters).

Wait one second....do you have an active protection anti-virus? I did not notice one in the startup list. If you use Norton 360, that is another contributing factor to your lack of performance (Norton is a resource hog).

#7 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hi

I knew the processor wasn't the best, but I actually paid an extra £80 in the shop for a Pentium processor, the standard was celeron. The reason I got this laptop was because it was a netbook sized, not really thinking about the processor.

I have no problems uninstalling Norton, it's a multi user account of my friends, so I got it for nothing. Can you reccomend another AV that's either free, or I don't mind paying if it would improve speed. I'll uninstall some of the Toshiba software, but some of them I'll keep like the one that enables me to use the function key, but the ones like Tempro and Face recognition can go.

Any other fixes?

Thanks!!!
Posted Image

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Holy cow...a Celeron. :huh: That would have been terrible. You get what you pay for...

Haha...I just realized that this thing has an 11.6" screen. So is it one of those mini-laptops? (laptop-netbook crossover) To me, those are the worst of both worlds, not the best like you would think. I mean, my 10" Samsung netbook has a faster processor than yours (Intel Atom @ 1.6GHz). I hate to break it to you, but I think you wasted your money. I spent $300 on my netbook, and it was worth every penny. Yes, there is some performance compromised for portability, but I can deal with it. Sorry to rag on your purchase, but it sounds like you didn't do your homework first on this one.

Still, we'll try to squeeze all the performance we can out of it.

To see what exactly is causing your slow boots, type the following in at the Start Menu and press Enter:

msconfig

Under the General tab, dot the Diagnostic startup bubble > Apply > OK> reboot

See how your startup time compares to before. If it is considerably faster, then it is your startup programs that are causing the slow boots. To really nail it down, back in msconfig, check one box at a time under the Startup tab and reboot (check one box > reboot, check next box in list > reboot, etc..). Keep track of the boot times (stopwatch, paper, and pencil are handy for this). Your problem will probably reveal itself in the Startup tab, but if not, you can do the same on the Services tab. It will take considerably longer to get through the list on this one, though, as the Services list is much longer.

You can go ahead and uninstall Norton using the Norton Removal Tool. We'll install another AV after we get through with the slow booting (just keep it off the internet). Do you have another computer you can use in the mean time?

#9 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

When I got this, I had no time for research as I was going into hospital for quite a while and needed something small. My other laptop is a 17", and is quite large and heavy. For some mad reason I use this as my main laptop, and I took vista off my old one and installed a netbook OS on it (Jolicloud) Should really be the other way around, haha!

Anyway, I did the diagnostic start up and it was a bit faster again, especially once the desktop had loaded - normally I am unable to do anything for about 5 minutes even though the desktop is showing. I've still to go through the start up tab and select one thing at a time.

I'm going to uninstall Norton, I'll only be browsing the internet lightly and I've activated Microsoft security essentials as a temporary solution, I'm not sure how efficient it is.

Thanks for your reply
Posted Image

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

I see. People always have their reasons for doing things. I just didn't know your situation fully...why you bought it, what you were going to be doing with it, etc... Haha, yeah that is slightly backwards.

How much is a "bit faster"? I'm looking for an actual time...60 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.

Okay, that's fine. I don't like MSE, but it is okay to use for now (not that it will matter while you're doing the startup diagnostics, cause it won't run).

I recommend Vipre Anti-virus. It is run by Sunbelt Software, which is the AV behind my Avanquest Fix-It 10 bundled software. There are plenty of options out there...paid MBAM, Avira, Avast, SUPER Anti-spyware, etc. I just recommend Vipre because it uses the same anti-virus engine as I'm using now. You can research it yourself and decide if it's something you want. On their website it says: "Does not slow down your PC... Ideal for Netbooks that need malware protection". I used the trial version for a little while, and it ran like a champ.

#11 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for your reply!

My start up times have improved a lot, I timed it to around 2 minutes until I can use my computer, about 1 minute 40 seconds until the desktop shows. I know these may not seem like great times (I know my other laptop with the netbook OS boots in around 50 seconds and the macs I use at college are about 20 seconds) but from the times I was getting before, it is a big improvement. I think Norton was quite a big cause of this slow start up.

Any other improvements I can make? I wasn't sure if I could disable any of the Microsoft start up services apart from windows live messenger.

I'll have a look at that AV software, looks quite good. I remember using AV software called eset before, do you know if that is any good?

Thanks
Posted Image

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, I imagine Norton was the biggest contributing factor in this case. To be honest, if it were me, I would just do a clean install of Windows 7 to rid myself of all the Toshiba bloatware. You probably don't want to do this, as you most likely use some of that software. That's just what I would do, personally...

Well, it's all a matter of what you're willing to go without. The less you have running, the faster it will be overall. As far as services go, you should probably leave them alone. But most of those startup programs are nothing but performance killers. It depends on how bad you need them as to whether or not to disable them.

Okay. Yeah, I think ESET is pretty good. I know the Malware Response team uses the ESET online scanner a lot, but I know nothing about the system performance of the full av program itself. Feel free to install a trial version of Vipre to try it out for a couple weeks. Then, uninstall it, and install a trial version of ESET. See which one you like better, which one gives better performance, etc...before you buy a full version of either one. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users