Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:43 PM
Okay, here's the deal. My GF's computer is SEVERELY infected. Multiple things are happening.
1. When I try to run .exe's I get this message in a pop up window:
Application cannot be executed. The file XXXXXXX.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now? (yes)(no)
This applies to just about every .exe from photoshop to task manager. They open for a split second, close, and the popup appears.
2. A green shield appears in the task tray and a word bubble pops up from it. This is what it says:
Windows Security alert
Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software helps to protect your computer against viruses and other securtiy threats. Click here for the scan you computer. Your system might be at risk now. (Notice the bad English, smart enough to build malware, but they can't write!)
3. A pop up comes up in the lower right corner of the screen above the task tray, it's white with a red title bar that says Antivirus software alert. The rest of the dialog says this:
INFILTRATION ALERT virus attack
Your computer is being attacked by an internet virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan - dropper or similar.
Attack from: 22.214.171.124, port 5815
Attacked port: 40153
Do you want to block this attack?(yes)(no)
4. Windows Security System opens on it's own, with the "Malware Protection" expanded asking me to monitor my virus protection.
5. Internet Explorer (not the default browser) keeps opening to porn sites.
6. Another pop up comes up in the middle of the screen, also white with a red title bar asking me if I want to protect my computer from viruses.
7. Does "ANTIVIRUS SOFT" ring a bell for anyone? That's the software that's being offered to "fix" the problem. Yeah right!
If anyone could give me some help with getting rid of this obnoxious virus so the notebook can be usable again, please help!!!