Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print to another building?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike The Red

Mike The Red

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I've been tasked with giving users in our main office the ability to print to our other buildings. Right now the external offices connect via Citrix to access our database and files, but I'm assuming I want to leave Citrix out of this. The external offices already have a static ip address for the cable internet connection and the printer is connected to the router in that external office.

I'm having a difficult time finding solutions online. What do I need? Print Servers at the external locations? Some sort of VPN voodoo? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is an all windows environment, all workstations are XP and the servers at the main office are Windows Server 2000 (for Citrix) and Server 2003 for everything else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Probably the best solution is to create a VPN between the main office and external office and add the printer from the remote office as a network printer with a TCP\IP standard point. Just remember that for this to work easily all of the IP's need to be on the same subnet.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

What I did to enable this was installed the printer at each external office as a network printer (via ethernet cable to the router). Then I went into the router settings and set up port forwarding for Port 9100 to go to the printer's IP address.

From my main office I used the Add Printer Wizard, selected Local Printer, created a TCP/IP port, and put in the static IP address for the external office. I had to have the drivers at the main office to install them easily. This works fine now.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Nice simple solution!!! Thanks for sharing your solution with us. Filed away for future reference. :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users