Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

350 million Facebook users at risk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

According to McAfee this is number six in the list of malware targeting people in the last 24 hours.

If you get an e-mail that appears to be from Facebook saying the company reset your password and urging you to open an attachment, it is a scam. ...

The attachment contains a password stealer that can potentially access any username and password combination used on the computer, not just the login credentials for Facebook....

See screenshot at either of these links:
Beware the new Facebook password reset scam | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

McAfee Security Insights Blog » Blog Archive » Facebook Password Reset Scam Threatens Computers Worldwide

Edit 3-19-2010 to add additional information:

Facebook is warning its users about BredoLab malware serving campaign using the well known “Facebook Password Reset Confirmation Customer Support” social engineering theme. Facebook password reset themed malware campaign in the wild | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

According to Gary Warner, the UAB director of research in computer forensics most antivirus not detecting these computer viruses:

Cyber-criminals are using fake e-mails to target Facebook users and deliver computer viruses that were being detected only by one-third of the 42 most common anti-virus products as of noon Thursday, March 18, says a leading cyber-crime researcher at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

New Spam Targeting Facebook Users Is Invisible to Most Virus Scans, Says UAB Expert

Edited by tork, 19 March 2010 - 06:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't particularly like facebook and hardly go on it.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Oh yeah, I got this in my spam folder at least 5 times already :flowers: But I'm too smart for this. :thumbsup:
But honestly, people fall for this scam?

What really baffles me is that only 1/3 of antivirus products detect this?? Scary!

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Thank you tork for the heads up. There are a lot of young people that use that site and would answer that email in a heart beat. They are concerned that they won't be able to access Facebook if they don't. We have all met some one that would rather loose both there legs rather than loosing Facebook.

#5 RCA56

RCA56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Password stealer such as remote keylogger? Don't know how passwords can be stored on the hard drive for Facebook.

I wonder what port it opens up on victim's computers to transfer the stolen passwords.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

As with gaming sites, users visiting MySpace, YouTube, Facebook...are exposed to innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. See How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 650038haig

650038haig

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:30 PM