Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone suggest an electronics forum to me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

I am sure that some of you computer people are also into other electronics like myself. I am looking for an internet forum with a similar active and positive community that is focused on design/development/hacking/playing with things of an electronics nature. I am not looking for a forum about consumer electronics such as cell phones or home theaters.

I want to have the ability to ask about:
-Parts, what should I use for X
-Designs, prefer to have the ability to post schematics and ask for troubleshooting.

If the forum has sections like Coil Guns, RFID, VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) and Motor Controls, then it is what I am looking for.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

what kind of 'hacking' do you mean?
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

I'm going to assume your referring to "hard hacks" there are a few but most, like the one I came from before I landed at BC, seem to "flash in the pan". Google around you may find one that has what your looking for (most are device specific). I'd try googling Robotics more than hacks though.

Slashdot has somewhat of a hardware development community.

For everyone who's confused, hard hacks are altering existing devices to do something the original designers didn't mean for it to do by adding another piece of hardware

"Hacking" in it's original intent means to work at something electronics related for an extended period of time.

Posted Image

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hacking in the sense of Hack-A-Day and such. Altering or modifying devices. I don't mean hacking as in software cracking, I'm not a programmer.

Pretty much what I am really interested in is getting input/advice on original designs but some stuff is classed as a hack if it uses pre-existing devices in near-original form. I know enough about electronics to be dangerous but some stuff I just don't know. Specifically what sparked me making the thread is I am looking for a particular device and was wondering what/where I can find one.

What I want is a projector that projects onto a clear surface from the same side as the viewer, especially a windshield. As such the projection must be: Customizable, preferably alterable in color and multicolor would be a bonus, power-able from 12V or 5V DC Circuit. It also should require less than a laptop to be connected to run it constantly, something like the Arduino or Basic Stamp would be good.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

I proudly called myself a hacker back in the early 80s -- it meant something different those days.

I do some hardware hacks, but the forums tend to be for the platforms, not the hacks. For instance, right now I'm about to try to use a CompactFlash card to replace the hard disk in a Creative Zen Sleek MP3 player -- the best info is in the player forums, not a "hacker" forum.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

#6 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the explanations :thumbsup: The projector thing sounds similar to something that a friend of mine is looking into at the moment, but its for a big screen. Good luck in your search, I am afraid I am not knowledgeable in this area so can't help.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users