Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word & Excel - problem with opening files in Word and Excel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madcow1

madcow1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

Recently, I'm having slow file loading while opening ms word files and excel files directly from windows explorer. It takes a minute to load, however it opens immediately if I open .doc files or .xls files directly from their application software. It also take a minute for MS Word and Excel software to shut down.

I have run my antivirus (Symantec) and MBAM but they all show no virus was found. I'm not sure what should I do next, please advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

What version of Word & Excel?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

Remember that when you attempt to open a file through Explorer, your computer has to launch the application (Word or Excel) to present the contents to you. Unless you have Office running in the background (not something useful unless you use Office a lot during the day), this process can take a few seconds.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 madcow1

madcow1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

I used Microsoft Office 2003. I've no problem opening the files in MS Word 2003 or Excel 2003 in Window Explorer before. This slow file loading happenned a month ago until now. Besides, I can open powerpoint and publisher files easily from Explorer or direct through application software.

#5 Ted_Dancin'

Ted_Dancin'

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think I have a similar problem to that desribed by Madcow1...

I am unable to open/download certain file types attached to incoming emails, e.g. .doc, .txt, .xls, .jpg. The File Download dialogue box shows the little sheet of paper flying across from Globe icon to folder icon, but the progress bar does not appear, and the other information areas in the dialogue box remain blank (i.e. Estimated time left, Download to, Transfer rate). The download does not progress and I can only select Cancel.
Other file types don't seem to be a problem, e.g. .pps, .wmv.

I'm using a new laptop, Acer Aspire 5542, bought in January, and it came with "Microsoft Office 60 Day Trial - online". Just before the trial period expired, I installed a permanent copy of Office 2007.
Is it possible that there is some conflict between the trial software and my installed version of Windows 2007?
Does anyone know if there are any settings that I ought to check?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

When you installed Office 2007 did you uninstall the trial version first?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Ted_Dancin'

Ted_Dancin'

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hello Eyesee
No, I didn't uninstall anything. I'm a bit of a novice (and coward) when it comes to tinkering with programs.
But I've now looked at Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a program, and I can see:
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 (I think that's the one I installed).
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007.

Should I try uninstalling the Home and Student program?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users