Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Image error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markg2

markg2

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

After a series of posts on the XP forum here, it was suggested that I post this section.

The XP machine in question has displayed the problem for months. Specifically, within 2-7 days of a reboot the machine will display an error consisting of some variable program name dash Bad Image. In addition there sometimes is a lack of resources error. The machine at this point is so low on resources only a hard boot is possible.

I ran the bluescreen app suggested by the XP forum for a dump review and saw the driver vdprotect.sys as a potential culprit and renamed the file .old. This did not stop the problem.

I maintain the machine with Norton 360 (which constantly updates itself) and have forced several complete scans (virus and malware) all coming up clean. In addition, I have run two different (Spybot and another that I've forgotten) malware scans and I think it was Trend's free virus web offering that I tried to double check Norton on the virus. All of these scans consistently show a totally clean machine.

The latest freeze information from the computer was as follows:

1. App or Dll C:\program files\lenovo\client security solutions tvtpwm_windows_hook.dll is not a valid windows image. check against install disk.

2. Message center Plus.net framework initialization error: message center plus.exe bad image

I ran the bluescreen util but what I saw appeared to be the results from the last dump. I couldn't find a run date to confirm. I did confirm that the only VDprotect driver file was the one that I'd renamed to .old.

Results:
Mini062909-02.dmp 6/29/2009 4:50:00 PM BAD_POOL_HEADER 0x00000019 0x00000020 0x88bbd668 0x88bbd680 0x1a030001 VDProtect.sys VDProtect.sys+14d3 32-bit C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini062909-02.dmp 2 15 2600
Mini062909-01.dmp 6/29/2009 1:58:41 PM BAD_POOL_HEADER 0x00000019 0x00000020 0x887cf800 0x887cf818 0x1a030001 VDProtect.sys VDProtect.sys+14d3 32-bit C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini062909-01.dmp 2 15 2600

(the vdprotect information from the the dump file is historical--the dump files no longer showed new files after I renamed vdprotect)

As it stands now I have a warranty call scheduled for Monday to replace the motherboard, memory and drive thinking that this must be a hardware problem that's just not showing up with the PC Doctor scans.

If anyone here has a further suggestion, I'm open.

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users