Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Defender: What's the verdict?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KiwiSteve2

KiwiSteve2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:41 AM

Hello and Greetings from New Zealand :thumbsup:

Yesterday I downloaded the XP upgrades, which I do every week or so.

The description was something like 'XP spyware removal tool enhancement...' (I don't use the Microsoft tools)

However, when it finished downloading, without pausing 'it' closed Firefox, disabled aVast!, and proceeded to 'find' 20 or so instances of all the bad stuff. It said I had to Click Here to scan and remove the problem: I could only scan but I had to pay money to remove the problems, ie. register the program.

Every 20-30-40 seconds I got an alert that some critical situation had arisen, leading me to think it had turned off my firewall and all protection, and my system had been compromised. This occurred even when I disconnected from the net. I couldn't load Firefox, so couldn't cHeck anything online.

I eventually used an older spyware tool, which did find 22 problems, and it is now more or less back to normal.

Have I been conned, is this a known probelm with XPDefender, or what?

Would really appreciate any help you guys and gals might have

Thanks

Stephen

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 March 2010 - 10:21 PM.
Move to AII as no logs present. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users