This is in relation to this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299466/post-malware-removal-symptoms/
(Mods, no need to reopen that thread. I have all but given up on the matter and am turning the problem over to AT&T.)
I am completely baffled. I occasionally help out removing viruses and the like at a local office of just a few computers. Well this latest one has been a real MFer. One computer got a virus, it was removed successfully, then another, removed it successfully, and then all of the sudden not a single computer could get any security updates. No updating Windows, Malwarebytes or MSSE.
Well it turns out (refer to link above) that the network did NOT use a static IP and that there really was a DNS Changer Trojan on every computer on the network that were changing to malicious DNS servers. But everywhere I turned for advice on removing it was to use MalwareBytes or SmitFraudFix. Both detected the Trojan and both SAID that it was removed, but immediately after reboot the DNS Changer Trojan is back again.
I never got a chance to finish the GMER scan requested in the thread mentioned above because I started it at 10 AM, left the office at 5 PM and it was still scanning, and when I went to check on it the next day, a Windows message saying it recovered from an unexpected shutdown was displayed on the screen.
So anyway, I said screw it, I'm taking this whole mother down. First thing I did was disconnect all nodes from the router. Then I hit the "Reset to Factory" on that dang thing, reformatted every computer, and once the OS's were all done installing on all the computers, I reconnected them to the network, got an internet connection and attempted to update...
And still... CANNOT GET ANY SECURITY UPDATES. Internet connection is there, other websites load, but I just cannot get any security updates.
I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and tell them to take a look at it because I am OUT of ideas.