Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus for windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gracey2007

gracey2007

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hi!

I just installed windows 7 on my laptop, so it wiped out all the antivirus programs I had. Do you guys know of any free antivirus/protection programs that are compatible with windows 7??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi Gracey.Most Antivirus/antispyware programs are compatible, with Windows7. :thumbsup:

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

Hi Gracey,

I recommend either Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 5. Both are top-notch.

:thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Windows 7 consumer security software providers
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition, avast! or Comodo for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

I love avast! 5.0
It is the best. It is free, fast and low on resources. It has antivirus and antispyware both :thumbsup: It can scan email, webpages, network, p2p, files and more.

#7 gracey2007

gracey2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

thanks!!

I have SpyBlaster, but the problem is I don't use Firefox or IE anymore. I use Chrome now. Is there any program for that?

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

SpywareBlaster just protects the browser and looks out for bad sites. It does not really scan the malware code.

Same thing can be achieved by
- using WOT ( https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail...pegjjndpbikblnp )
- avast! which scans all the web traffic so it works with any browser.
- turning on UAC, so you always run the browser in reduced access mode.

#9 waterbender2009

waterbender2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

I have found the following free programs to be the best in combination :

Avast (antivirus) , ZoneAlarm (firewall) , Spybot search and destroy (anti spyware)

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

addition: going through the posts i found out its better to use SuperAntiSpyware instead of Spybot search and destroy (anti spyware) .

Edited by waterbender2009, 02 April 2010 - 01:29 PM.

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

I love avast! 5.0
It is the best. It is free, fast and low on resources. It has antivirus and antispyware both :flowers: It can scan email, webpages, network, p2p, files and more.

Very true. Actually, just today it saved me from a TDSS infection. I was looking over some Malware Domains List URLs, and decided to see if AVG's link scanner would catch the infected site, so I opened up the link scanner website (http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx) and instead of copying and pasting, I decided to drag the URL from one tab to the link scanner tab. For some reason it pasted itself in the address bar and tried to navigate there. Luckily, avast interrupted the connection and saved me :trumpet: Scans with Avast, TDSS killer and Malwarebytes have all come back clean
Thank you avast :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users