Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect to Server

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 guitar7

guitar7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Running Vista Home Premium SP2, 64-bit on HP a6700y (AMD 9150e quad-core with 4 gig ram)

Receive "Cannot connect to server" when attempting to update Avast and Malware Bytes.
By renaming Malware Bytes I was able to download, update and fully scan the PC.
Online scanners also did complete scans of the PC.

I've run several antivirus and spyware removal programs. None of these have detected
any malware or viruses. Scanners I've run include...
Malware Bytes
HouseCall Online (Trend Micro)
Avast
BitDefender Online
Windows Defender
Eset Online scanner
Ad-Aware (free version)
SuperAntiSpyware

Reviewed the PC with SysInternals Autorun (lists all loaded dlls, exe, etc loaded on
bootup) and ProcExp64 (current running processes) with a friend who's very familiar
with these two SysInternals tools. Didn't observe any obvious rogue processes.

IE and Firefox can now both get to the internet. Originally IE wouldn't go to the
internet. I reset the IE proxy settings a couple days ago which then allowed IE to
get to the internet.

Ran MsConfig and disabled all Startup programs. Avast still would not update.

I'm about out of ideas as to what to try next. Appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users