Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have "ave.exe" worm, safe to backup files over network attached storage?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noahhalvorson

noahhalvorson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi all,

I've been infected with what I think is the sndog worm, and I've got "XP Internet Security" obviously from P2P torrent sites. Somehow, Firefox works without problems, but AVG couldn't fix it when it first invaded my system and now neither Malwarebytes, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, nor AVG will run. It's in my prefetch folder as AVE.exe. If my dad (a network tech) can't pull it over our home network and destroy it from another PC, I'm prepared to just wipe my drive and start over from the beginning, but I have 50 gig of music and recordings (I'm a musician, and these are very important to me) as well as various documents that I would need to back up first. Is it safe to copy them to our network attached storage device without infecting my whole house? Copying to another drive would be a pain (I'm using a Gateway M6846 laptop running XP SP3) but if I have to do that to protect my network I guess I have no choice.

Thank you to anyone ahead of time for your help.

Noah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi noahhalvorson, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

and now neither Malwarebytes, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, nor AVG will run.

As far as I know, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware has been updated to deal with this infection... Use information from this post: link to run MBAM and perform a full system scan (with program updated) with it... Post the logfile here and let us know what problem remains...

Note: If your Firefox browser works, closing it and renaming the MABM' file to firefox.exe should do the trick...
Posted Image
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users