Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't run malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerryc

jerryc

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

XP Pro fully updated, SP3, Trend Micro OfficeScan.
2 weeks ago this had the fakeav that put up false Windows security warnings. The user (not me) didn't understand and installed the malware.
Trend gave some sort of warning but did not remove.
I have run superantispyware successfully to remove, and it gave the name above, 'fakeav'.
I did uncheck 'system restore' when I did that.
One thing I had not seen before was that it changed network settings to use a proxy server, which was the fakeav itself. After removal, machine could not access web, but could ping. Then I changed that setting back, to no proxy server, and could access web.

I cannot install or run malwarebytes. I download ok but on install near the end gives an error, runtime 0 and runtime 440, and it will not actually run.
I uninstalled, which also issued the same errors, and removed all files in the registry, and reinstalled from 2 different sites including malwarebytes itself.
No difference. Repeated google searches for this problem do not help; fixes others have found have not worked here.
User reports that Trend sometimes still issues a warning that 'something' is being blocked. I haven't seen it myself.
I think something is still on this machine and have had success with Malwarebytes in the past.

I dl'd and ran DDS. I got to the black screen, then it disappeared and I did not get the 2 output text windows.
I ran it again and did get the output, so I have those saved.
Thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by jerryc, 17 March 2010 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Helo look here at #17
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users