Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log-in Credentials

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gringoyle

Gringoyle

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

I would like set my server up as the domain and have the PC's around the office as clients, I will have all the programs on the server like Quick Books
that multi-users will access. and other programs that techs will use. I wanna know how to set up each client so as soon as the PC is turned on you will need to log-in and based on your log-in is whether or not you can use the Quick Books or the other programs ( so if i log on my office PC or the one in the shop it knows I can access what ever i want but if some who only have access to Quick Books logs-in they only see that no matter what PC they use) but i also want it to not only affect the Server usage or rights but the individual PC as well some employees will not have Internet browsing or control panel usage ect. no matter what PC they are on.

If any one knows of some software that is already built for this thats would be awesome of course

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hi, you can install the programs via group policy. So when some one logs on they will install the program. How many servers will you be using?
This is only basic instructions on Article ID: 816102 - How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102
MCP
MSDST

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

You need to create a domain. Create the users, groups, password policy, and any group policy you may want. You will want to create roaming profiles for each user so no matter where they log in at they will only get their profile. You DO NOT want to publish quickbooks VIA group policy as it will install the software on the client and anyone logging on to the computer will see it. What you can do is install it on the server and only allow the users that need access to quickbooks to access the server VIA RDP (terminal sevices essentially) and run it that way. Group policy will be the main means to control all of the clients.

If this sounds a little complicated...it is. Hopefully you have real server software like 2000, 2003, 2008 server? You can't do what you want without it. My advice would be if you don't have any experiance in doing this type of setup is to get some experienced help. You don't want to attempt this in a real operating business as a first time attempt. You will be working with Active Directory, DNS, and probably DHCP at a minimum so you will need at least a basic understanding of all of them in order to accomplish your goal. The best thing is no additional software is needed to accomplish your goals.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Gringoyle

Gringoyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

So when some one logs on they will install the program. How many servers will you be using?

Only 1 server and about 10 clients

#5 Gringoyle

Gringoyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

You DO NOT want to publish quickbooks VIA group policy as it will install the software on the client and anyone logging on to the computer will see it. What you can do is install it on the server and only allow the users that need access to quickbooks to access the server VIA RDP (terminal sevices essentially) and run it that way. Group policy will be the main means to control all of the clients.

RDP? Remote Desktop Protocol?
Would I be able to have multi-users access quickbooks at the same time this way or does 1 person need to wait till the other is done editing the program?
I thought to set up an Active Directory Security Group (e.g., QB Access), and add each authorized user to that group. Then share the folder with that group, and give them read/write access to the folder. only 2 of my girls will access it and they will only do it from there offices anyways.

Edited by Gringoyle, 18 March 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#6 Gringoyle

Gringoyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

You will want to create roaming profiles for each user so no matter where they log in at they will only get their profile.

will I need to set up each user a profile on every client machine or does the server tell the client machine what profile to use?
and does it do this be for the client logs-in to windows xp or after?

Edited by Gringoyle, 18 March 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

To create a roaming profile in the domain you need to do the following. Create a folder to save the user profiles in, make sure users have full control. Create a new user on the server. log on from the client and setup the desktop and other options on the client end, back at the server go to control panel user accounts, highlight the user and copy, using the folder you created make a folder matching the user name(so you can find it later if need be) and place the copied profile there. In Active directory users and computers go the the user and change the profile path to \\servername\%username%.

You can use one client machine to set up all of the profiles and then they can log on from any client they want.
Mark Twain

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Are you familiar with Active Directory?

#9 Gringoyle

Gringoyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Are you familiar with Active Directory?

No! not really. Thankfully the server is setup to the best of my knowledge but I would like to tweak it some more, start using features I have seen on other system in other offices

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

I would go buy some books for Active Directory.

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

RDP is what Windows server 2003 and XP use to do remote access. Remote desktop protocol is what it stands for. Without paying any extra you can use RDP to support 2 users logging into the server at the same time. The RDP client is installed standard with XP in accessories. If you are using 2000 server you will need to use RDC on the clients instead. You cannot run programs on the remote computer without accessing it remotely.

You need to check the server to be sure of two things. Is it server software as stated before. Don't assume it is as many places will use XP to host file servers in small companies to save on cost. Second is there really a domain setup? You can check by right clicking on My Computer - properties - computer name - change. If those two are good then you are halfway there. You need to really take some time to learn about Active Directory(AD). AD will be the core of everything you want to do. If there is no domain setup I will once again say you need to get some help in person that understands the proccess.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users