Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Player - who do these people think they are?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:32 AM

I hate Real Player. The arrogant way it writes itself all over the system is unbelievable. It was only with the greatest reluctance that I put it on my computer and then only because I like to listen to some of my favourite radio stations on the Internet and they are only in Real format. The BBC in particular has come in for much criticism in the UK because it does not use alternative formats.

I have changed all my settings to prevent Real starting unless I actually want to use it by unchecking all the Startup settings using msconfig but as soon as I start Real manually it changes the startup configuration to automatic without any indication that it is doing so.

This is the equivalent of spyware making changes and would not happen if Real was a responsible company.

Is there any way of preventing changes being made to my startup configuration without my knowledge?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:39 AM

Supermart, If you feel like snooping around, go to this site; http://www.answersthatwork.com/ look in the task list and look up these entries;

Tkbellexe
Realevent
Real Player
Realsched
Rnathchk
Rndal
Evntsvc

They will tell you what you need to know. If you need any more help, be sure to post back with any questions.

What I did to stop the start up problem was to rename their update file, this is what keeps turning itself back on. On Windows XP go to C:Program Files>Common Files>Real>Update_OB, then open up your task manager and find the listing named realsched (or Evntsvc if an older version of Realplayer). Right click this process and choose End Process, then go to the file realsched and rename it to realsched.old (or Evntscv.old), you will never have it start at startup again and your Real player will still work just fine.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Ronbo, 26 September 2004 - 02:56 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

Thank you for the excellent advice. Having looked at www.answersthatwork.com I now understand what happens and am pleased to find I am far from the only person who objects to Real Players' activities.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

Am with you both, on this issue. I only installed it to listen to the music at one site (the official Jefferson Airplane site). I was reluctant to do that, considering I had iTunes (and it's obligatory Quicktime), dbPoweramp, winamp & of course wmp. After considering the matter for several days, I decided I wanted to here some of the old stuff, and was genuinely upset after yet another few days finding out exactly what you describe... system competition of the undesirable kind.

BTW, It poses a quandary to an individual when analyzing HJT logs, too. How can you say, "get rid of it" when it's "legit"?? :thumbsup: :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:29 AM

Realplayer likes to "call home" a lot; you can just use your firewall to block any outgoing packets. No matter what your definition of spyware, an application that accesses the internet without my consent or knowledge should be included.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:30 AM

What I did to stop the start up problem was to rename their update file, this is what keeps turning itself back on. On Windows XP go to C:Program Files>Common Files>Real>Update_OB, then open up your task manager and find the listing named realsched (or Evntsvc if an older version of Realplayer). Right click this process and choose End Process, then go to the file realsched and rename it to realsched.old (or Evntscv.old), you will never have it start at startup again and your Real player will still work just fine.

I forgot to mention, Ronbo that advice is immeasurably helpful with other problematic programs, as well. Lexmark is notorious for resource-hogging practically useless startup files. System and VGA driver installation applications also for some reason think daily monitoring for updates is something I'm real happy about. (yup, the last update was august 2002, by golly. Better keep a close eye on that, for sure)
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users