Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COmputer only runs in Debugging Mode. Instant BSOD on startup.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Martyrdom

Martyrdom

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

Well this is rather embarrassing. My brother and I share this computer, and after coming home from my baseball game yesterday (highschool), I come home to a computer that will not even turn on. After the initial 5 seconds of loading on startup, the usual Windows XP logo and loading bar appear for all of 2-3 seconds, an instant BSOD flashes for around half of a second, and the computer restarts itself. This happens if attempting to load in normal mode, safe mode (all 3 safe modes). The only way I was able to get past the loading screen was to load it in Debugging mode, which I am currently running it in.

After a quick scan with malware bytes, 22 objects were found 21 of which were ad-related and the other one being a browser hijack. After successfully removing these and a attempt at a restart, the same BSOD flash, and instant restart. After another load up in Debugging mode, I run a complete MBAM scan and it finds 14 total items, 6 trojans, 4 browser hijacks, and some other malware. After another attempted restart, yet again, the blasted BSOD flash,restart, combo happens. I am currently sitting here completely baffled as to what this could be, MBAM picks up nothing on scans, and Avira is consantly popping up with blocked protocals.

I currently have these programs installed ready for use: MBAM, HijackThis, WShredder, Rootkit Buster, Avira, DDS, CCleaner, and Combofix.

I have not currently run anthing except MBAM and Avira basic scan.

I promise not to make any system changes as it may interfere with fixes provided.

A solemn thanks in advance for any help that may be provided. thumbup2.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Has Combofix been used in an attempt to resolve an issue? Don't run it now though...

Have any hardware oriented changes been made to the system since it worked? RAM, video card, storage (hard disks, USB devices), printers, network hardware drivers, device drivers?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can see it:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

If you can only boot in Safe Mode and are seeing a BSOD, choose the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Then you can see the BSOD when it happens again.

Here are some BSOD blue screen of death examples showing information you need to provide:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png
http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Edited by joseibarra, 17 March 2010 - 05:09 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

FWIW: I suggest running full scans with Avira...after each time you run Malwarebytes.

Louis

#4 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

"Has Combofix been used in an attempt to resolve an issue? Don't run it now though..."

No sir.

"Have any hardware oriented changes been made to the system since it worked? RAM, video card, storage (hard disks, USB devices), printers, network hardware drivers, device drivers?"

No sir.

"Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here."

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DALTON
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 05
System Model P9861A-ABA 553w
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1731 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD AM35308, 10/7/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name DALTON\Mine
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.46 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

"If you can only boot in Safe Mode and are seeing a BSOD, choose the option:"

Is this prior to disabling the automatic restart box? If so, I cannot load in Safe Mode at all, as it instantly restarts when it is initialized.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

If you can disable the restart checkbox, do so and I would suggest leaving it like that forever! If you have a BSOD someday in the future, you will want to know about it - not have the system restart.

Somehow, we need the BSOD information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

I will restart and write down the BSOD Information then. Will report back shortly.

Edit: Added BSOD Information to new post.

Edited by Martyrdom, 17 March 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#7 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

BSOD Information Verbatim:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk-defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK_/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot the Technical Info when I added it to the new post.

Technical Info

***STOP: 0x00000024 ( 0x001902FE, 0xF78BE7C, 0xF78BE178, 0x8A6E6889)

Edited by Martyrdom, 17 March 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Did you try running the chkdsk /r command (chkdsk /r is better than chkdsk /f, which is suggested)...from the XP Recovery Console?

24 STOP errors are NTFS problems. Sometimes chkdsk /r can handle such, sometimes it takes much more.

Louis

#9 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

No I did not. I was awaiting any feedback before doing it. As you recommend that I run it, I shall and post the results shortly.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

Either it runs successfully...or you will get an error message telling you that it cannot complete. In the event of an error message, please write it down and post it.

Louis

#11 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

It ran successfully in the Recovery Console. It said that it was able to find and repair parts of it. But when I tried a normal start and then a safe mode start, the BSOD happened again.

#12 Martyrdom

Martyrdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Apologizing in advance for a second double post. Any other ideas regarding the BSOD? Running in Debugging mode is very counterproductive, especially since iTunes cannot be opened without instantly freezing my computer. Any other information I can provide to help remedy this problem as soon as possible?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

I rad about this troubleshooting idea and for your error - you have Avira?

Try disabling any virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenter tools that continually monitor the system.

Does any of that sound like your system?

I would speculate that something is loading in normal mode that is NOT loading in debugging mode. You can boot in Debugging all the time, but never in Normal - what is the difference? You need to figure out what the difference is between a normal boot and a Debugging boot.

What loads normally that does not load in Debugging mode? Adjust things via msconfig (at least temporarily) so it does not load on a normal boot and then when you have the culprit identified, fix it.

Once you get in debugging mode, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msconfig

Click OK and take a look at the Startup tab. You uncheck the boxes to disable the Startup items (this does not uninstall them). Disable all of the Startup items or do the obvious ones related to the idea above and then try your reboot. Do them one at a time until you have them all disabled (my Startup tab is empty).

If still no joy, look at the Service tab and click Hide all Microsoft services. What's left is your stuff. Repeat the disabling method until you are able to boot normally.

Make some notes as you go, write things down, do them one at a time so you can pinpoint it to a particular Startup item and or Service.

Nothing in the Startup tab or non MS Services are "required" to boot - mine are empty!

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

Please try this...

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    CODE
    :filefind
    ntfs.sys

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users