Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home and Family Filter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluenoser

bluenoser

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

I have a computer that , when bought, second hand, had XP installed. It also has a "parental filter" called "Home and Family" installed.
The process it runs under is, winsysRM.exe
I can't stop it from running whenever a browser is opened. It requires a usename and password to get rid of it, neither of which I have.
Can ANYONE suggest how to stop this stupid "parental filter" program from running. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonk

Bonk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

If you have Administrator privileges go to Add and remove programs in the control panel and see if you can see it in the list and remove it

#3 bluenoser

bluenoser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

Thanks BONK, but there's nothing in programs that resembles the Home and Family filter that I'm trying to get rid of. :thumbsup: It's just something , a process, that works in the background. The process is winsysRM.exe. If I kill the process it just comes back next time I open a browser. Frustrating! Cheers

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

Hello bluenoser and welcome to BC.

I found some good information about that program, including uninstall directions at this site by entering winsysRM.exe into the BC Startup Database (found at the top of most pages here) which gave me that link. That may or may not work for you but at least it gives you something to go on.

Let us know how you make out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users