Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Not Working; PC Unresponsive at Times

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Okay, long backstory short--a few weeks ago, I was on another thread with these same problems.

A moderator helped me and walked me thru a bunch of virus stuff. Computer came up clean. BUT...I'm still having issues, and he suggested I come over here to these boards for help.

Here's the jest of what's happening.....

A few different items....

(a) Programs just won't open sometimes (i.e., calculator, calendar, lightroom, irfanview, etc.). Once one won't open, none of them will. Happens randomly, not consistently but enough times to be a problem.

In order to correct the problem, I have to shut down the computer. Well, guess what? Task Manager won't open, and the restart option won't work either! So, I have to manually hold the power button down until the entire thing powers down and the reboot. Of course, after the reboot, everything works (until the next time this happens)!

(:huh: Sometimes, upon start-up, things take FOREVER to process and load in. I try to go thru my Start-Up items frequent, but now, it's just getting ridiculous. It's taking MUCH longer than it should to restart the machine.

I can't figure out what's going on. It's not virus/malware/spyware etc., so I'm thinking it has to be operating system related.

Any ideas on where to start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Sounds to me like it is a failing drive.

#4 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:28 AM

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been out of town.

Will try now. Hope it's not a failing drive; can't say I've had this computer a "long" time!

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

Okay. What was supposed to happend? A black dos box popped up and and then disappeared. Was something else supposed to happen?

#6 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

Got it to stay up this time; will see what the results are!

#7 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

Okay, apparently, nothing is wrong because it said 100% (done) and then the box disappeared....

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Try repair installation: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

Sorry. I am just not checking back. For some reason, an e-mail notification did not come. I will try the above fix. Though, it seems to be getting frustrating. If the computer is left on overnight (as we normally do), when we start back up the next morning, several programs have quit working.

For example, this morning, I cannot open the Calendar from w/in Windows Mail, nor can I double-click the time in the lower right-hand corner to pull up a calendar. It's like something "clicks" inside the computer or some type of "run" error happens and programs will no longer open.

As stated earlier in the thread, we can't even restart or shut down once the computer hits this mode; we have to physically power down. ...and to make matters worse, everything seems to be running in slow mode this morning (i.e., typing and the computer taking forever to put what we type on the screen)....like it's continuously processing something...very frustrating.

Let me try your link, and I will report back. Thank you.

#10 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Okay, I have Vista not XP. Is there something else to try or will this work for Vista as well?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Okay, I have Vista not XP

I'm sorry. My fault.
Do you have Vista DVD by any chance?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

Hmmm...that I don't know will have to look around and see if the pc came with any.

One thing I have discovered this weekend--once the computer goes into sleep mode at night--that's when it slips into this non-responsive mode. For instance, I just got up and came up here. Same thing--it's slow in loading pages, and programs won't open up. For instance, if I try to open CCCleaner (which I ran fine yesterday), I get File System Error (65535). But, I'm sure if I reboot, it will work fine.

In the past, it's been recommended to me not to turn the computer off at night. Should we be shutting it down every night?

#13 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:16 AM

Alright, very strange. Just tried to open a word document, and it told me, "Not enough memory to open Word." That's why I think something is going on inside the machine....I'm not sure what is creeping in during the night and changing everything....

#14 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

Okay, this is just "weird..." Was going to restart, but hit "lock" the computer instead by accident.....

Logged back on...and guess what? Everything is working now....I don't get it...very strange....It still wouldn't let me open Word though until I shut down Windows Mail, which is normally never a problem.....

Wish I could see into "it's" brain!

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Is it desktop, or laptop?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users