Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dave019283

dave019283

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

On my windows XP computer I am wirelessly connected to the internet with my Airlink101 300n router, but recently I am getting disconnected.
The internet still works because on the computer connected via cable it never cuts out while the wireless one does. It also happens repeatedly, if I finally get connected again from trying to repair the connection like 20 times, it just cuts out again.

This problem just started happening recently and it really makes it hard to surf the web or use xbox live. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Try downloading NetStumbler and running it on the wirelessly connected computer. Look for your base station ID and the strength it shows for your signal, then look for any other signals on the same channel or plus-or-minus three channels from yours that have signals near or greater than yours. So if you are on channel 1 look at signals on channels 1-3, if you are on channel 6 look at 3-9, and if you are on 11 look at 9-11. If you are getting interference from another WiFi station it should show up there. If you find something, try changing your router/AP channel to either 1, 6, or 11 depending on which has the least interfering signals in your area.

An interfering signal may be something other than WiFi, but these can be hard to track down. Common ones are radio based remote controls (not infra-red), baby monitors, cordless phones (in the 2.4Ghz band), and microwave ovens (usually interfere mostly with higher channels). From the sounds of it you are dropping often enough that it isn't likely to be the microwave or cordless phone (unless there is a teen female in the house). Finding this kind of interference takes more specialized equipment, the best bet may be to try another channel.

If the problem isn't interference it's probably one end or the other's radio going away, in which case it will get worse over time with no easy fix (other than a shopping day at NewEgg or your Techie shop of choice). A common fault is for the clock to drift and cause the rotating keys of WPA to rotate before the other end is ready. You can try changing to WEP or, if you like to live on the edge, turning off security on your router for a while to test.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by Orecomm, 17 March 2010 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users