Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 denny1900

denny1900

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

When I turn on my computer I can hear the fan running but the screen stays black. There is no logo or cursor, nothing! The Dell has 4 diagnostic lights on the front but the sequence I am getting is not in the help section of my manual. The light sequence displayed is - lights 1,3 & 4 are lit. Light #2 is not. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

I looked here - probably what you have:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYST...t.htm#wp1056411

I like the last one :thumbsup::

Another failure has occurred.

Beep codes are telling too. Describe as best you can your audible interpretation of the beeps on power up. One short (usually good), one short one long, two shorts, etc.

Nothing on the monitor? No lights for power or video signal present? Have you unplugged/replugged the monitor?

Can you try another monitor or your current monitor on another system?

Would you be able to power off, unlug, open the case and reseat the video card and RAM? If you are not comfortable with that part, skip it for now.

Any new devices - USB drives, printers, etc.

Edited by joseibarra, 17 March 2010 - 02:23 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 denny1900

denny1900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Yes I have looked at this page in the manual. Unfortunately the sequence of lights I am getting is not listed. My monitor appears to be fine. There is a floating dialog box that appears to be for monitor adjustments -i.e. brightness, color etc.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

What about the beeps?

Sometimes what you read in the manual doesn't quite describe the beeps or there is no good match, so please do the best you can in words and we can keep looking around.

Sounds like at least the power supply fan is working and some power is getting out since the LEDs work. Are you comfortable checking around inside to see if things like the CPU fan or if there is a fan on your video card are spinning, etc.

Any power interruptions lately or what would be your idea as to what happened since the last time it worked?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 denny1900

denny1900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Yes the fan is working. It actually is louder than it was prior to the screen issue. I looked inside the computer and there are some lights on inside. I read that taking the battery out of the motherboard helped for someone.

#6 denny1900

denny1900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

I am at work right now and the problem is with my home computer so I cannot do any tests at the moment. Just check for possible solutions.

#7 denny1900

denny1900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

I am at work right now and the problem is with my home computer so I cannot do any tests at the moment. Just check for possible solutions.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

post the model and service tag number.

There is a wide variety of dells and I have one of most of them here. Some live, some dead and some reborn as linux servers.

I am guessing you have a desktop. The monitor message means it is not getting any signal on the cable. Test it with another computer to make sure you can rule it out. Check the cable for bent pins too. Not likely but you want to narrow the pool of possibilities.

Is your video on a card or on the mainboard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users