Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One laptop is infected, but . . ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 perk_pcdummy

perk_pcdummy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

If my Acer was infected with redirector malware using a Verizon wireless modem, will using that same modem on my Dell infect it as well??

I hope the answer is no, that the modem doesn't carry the bad program, so I can keep on working my online college courses until I fix the Acer . . . the wireless modem stick is my only internet option.

- Thanks - pcdummy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hoverdave

hoverdave

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

If my Acer was infected with redirector malware using a Verizon wireless modem, will using that same modem on my Dell infect it as well??

I hope the answer is no, that the modem doesn't carry the bad program, so I can keep on working my online college courses until I fix the Acer . . . the wireless modem stick is my only internet option.

- Thanks - pcdummy

I believe those Verizon "modems" have a flash memory section on them with software and information pertinent to the cell connection. If that is the case, it is then possible for the flash drive portion to become infected, yes.

It really depends on the infection - Sinowal/mebroot for instance can infect the boot record of a flash drive.

(Keep in mind I'm just a regular member, not a trained-by-bleepingcomputer technician)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users