Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 narasimhan

narasimhan

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

hi guys i get around 7-10 mails everyday in the spam folder of my gmail. i don't get any spam mails in my inbox. these mails are totally unrelated. i don't know how they got hold of my id. is there a possibility to prevent these mails. or is it enough to leave them alone as they automatically get deleted after a month. it's a bit annoying to see a constant 300 mails in spam folder. i don't have any online bank or ebay/paypal account. if i choose this id to get an account in future will they(these spams) pose any security threats. most forums and online websites i have registered using this id. so it'll be a big problem if my mail id is compromised. will it be possible for these spams to hack my account.

i have another mail id which i rarely use and hence i haven't received even a single spam.

and 1 more question. how many spam mails do u guys get everyday?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

How Do Spammers Get My Email Address?

One way that isn't mentioned in the article linked to above:

Dictionary programs (brute force programs). Just like hacker programs, these products will generate alphabetic/numeric combinations of addresses in sequence. While many of the results are incorrect, these dictionary programs can create hundreds of thousands of addresses per hour, guaranteeing that at least some will work as targets for spam.

(from HERE)

Can you change the deletion setting for your spam folder to something less than 30 days?

#3 narasimhan

narasimhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

k thanks. but as i've asked will it pose a threat?

most forums and online websites i have registered using this id. so it'll be a big problem if my mail id is compromised. will it be possible for these spams to hack my account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users