Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

My sons emachine W6409 lost internet connectivity about a week ago. So far I have ran: Malwarebytes and vundofix. I've also tried the commands to reestablish the connection: ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew without success. On ipconfig/renew I get the error: "The RPC server is unavailable". It's difficult to work on this machine without a internet connection. The Malwarebytes scan ID'ed and removed the following: Trojan.BHO (5), Trojan.vundo (2), Trojan.agent (2) and 1 trojan.dropper. Also an rogue AV program: A360, (8). Any help will appreciated. Thanks.

PS: The operating system is Windows XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I am not one of the anti-virus experts here and I'm not sure you are completely clean, but as far as your network issues I can suggest you try Start->Run->sfc /scannow (have your OS disk handy, as it will probably ask for it). Once that is complete go into Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, find the Network Adapters, select your LAN interface, and select Uninstall from the actions menu. Reboot and Windows should discover and reinstall the interface, restoring the links broken by the malware. If you use anything other that "Automatic" (i.e.DHCP) to get your IP and DNS entries you will have to restore them manually.

If one of the Anti-Malware guys offers suggestions on making sure your system is clean, pay attention. Usually when something is messing with the comm stack at this level it means something bad is under the covers.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Orecomm. I tried your suggestion but had problems with the system restore disk supplied with the emachine. SFC didn't like the disk. It kept asking me for disk #2 of the XP pro. install. There is no disk #2. :thumbsup: Looks like I'll have to do a reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users