Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten Administrator password

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andy_r

andy_r

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

Hi,
I cannot access my Administrator account, as I cannot remember the exact format of the Password (or, more worringly, a hacker has changed it ).
I changed the namo of the Administrator account as a security measure and gave it a new password recently but it has backfired spectacularly as I have lost my record of the password. I have tried about 100 combinations. What can I do?

andy_r

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andy_r

andy_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

Hi,
Have discovered the built-in Administrator in XP and used safe mode to change my Administrator password. Simple! If only I'd known instead of going thru all the possible combinations. Anyway, here's hoping this is the end of it and there is no hacker involved.
I will set about setting a password for the hidden Admin account, which I will WRITE Down and keep safe!
andy_r

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Barilla

Barilla

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

You could have a look at Microsoft's homepage
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189126

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users