Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm not sure if I got Vista Guardian all the way off or not...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JellyFish72

JellyFish72

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:16 AM

Okay, so earlier today, I got what I can only assume to be Vista Guardian on my laptop - it showed up as Vista Defender Pro-Unregistered Version most of the time, but on one reboot it showed as Vista Guardian 2010, and the pop-up design was exactly the same as Vista Guardian, so I can only assume that it is a new name.

I'm fairly sure that after 12 hours of work, I've gotten it mostly off my computer - I first attempted MalwareBytes, then after reading some on here, RKill and MalwareBytes, then I found the Vista Guardian Removal walkthrough on here and followed it (FixExe.reg and MalwareBytes), and the main virus appears to be gone - no more fake antivirus popups, etc.

However, I'm getting notifications that some Windows startup processes are being impaired, and I keep getting error messages saying that "Host Process for Windows Services" has stopped responding (or something similar, I can't recall the exact wording at this time). Additionally, when I went to google the problem, I noticed that I have a google redirect going on - any search result I click on takes me to various websites trying to sell me services/products of sorts (including, ironically enough, one for windows. Not the OS. Actual windows.)

Is this an after affect of the Vista Guardian virus, or something different? Any advice on my next steps?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 One Armed Bandit

One Armed Bandit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

I'm running into the same issue, only rkill stops the popup and they come back when trying to install Malwarebytes. I'll try the FixExe.reg...right now I'm running chkdsk from Windows XP Recovery Console and it is obviously finding errors because the completion % keeps reverting to 50%.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hello, We need a deeper look,please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic from step 9.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users