Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup blank screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SKYRIDE

SKYRIDE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Tried many things, ready to write my story and ask for help.

Started with the printer not doing a test correctly and it had lines across the page (alignment). Next thing when we booted up it read:

VGA - no signal ; checked chord from monitor to pc, and checked pc on another monitor (fine)

WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SLIMLINE s1300n

Monitor-HPw17e

Tried to start Windows with all functions keys (except F11) & ESC

While sporadically getting into Windows, (we have no installation disc), we removed the printer software and reinstalled it:

4280 HP PHOTOSMART ALL-IN-ONE (we were confused re: 32 vs 64 and selected the option w/out either stated)

While in Windows, we also updated drivers:
Nvidia and others
and several video program update boxes had us update: Real Player, Flash Player 10, and Adobe Flash Player (not sure why all of them, or if they're an interference)

Did a Diagnostic Test in Configuration Startup

After rebooting many times just trying to keep it on, it went to the BIOS CMOS setup utility and we finally got back to the bootup menu and could hit the 1st Drive - HDD to get to Windows, but now cannot because it went to sleep. We rebooted and now, the screen is blank.

Many times the pc would go down but not shut off.
The green monitor light now goes yellow.

The last time we were in Windows, the security wouldn't start, told to turn off the diagnostic service policy, so we did. We took the chord out of the router thinking we could boot up and fix the security problem without getting viruses.

Belkin N1Vision model # F5D8232-4 Router

The keyboard internet button didn't get programmed. HP model #KB-0630

I changed the default browser from Internet Explorer to Chrome, then changed it back towards the end.

My partner says he created a boot disk (that's what he's calling it anyway) about 6 weeks ago.

Where to start? Help.... :huh: :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Did you check the monitor on another PC?

#3 SKYRIDE

SKYRIDE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

YES, THE MONITOR HAS BEEN CHECKED ON ANOTHER COMPUTER AND IT WORKS. WE'RE FINALLY READY TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP !!!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

Checked the cable on another PC?

#5 SKYRIDE

SKYRIDE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

cryptodan,

Yes, I checked the cable on another pc. Any other ideas to take us faster along the path here??? I'm willing to do a number of checks at once if you think that would get us there faster.

Thank You,
Skyride

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

So you did the following:

Checked the monitor on another PC = All Good

Checked Cable on another PC = All Good

Did you try another cable on the monitor and PC having issues?

#7 SKYRIDE

SKYRIDE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

Yes, I bought a new cable and with a boot disk I made, started the computer up holding down F12 and selected "systems recovery".

When it goes to Windows, two issues, the network seems to be off and needs new settings becuz it goes to sleep....and I can't get it to wakeup.

#8 SKYRIDE

SKYRIDE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

Dear Advisor Cryptodan: :huh:

I got the network on, and found all the startup programs had been turned off. I turned a lot of them on from the user account, and found the network connected and the antivirus started working again.

1) I'm not sure if the startup programs are accurately formatted...so I need help there.
2) I'm not sure how to deal with this issue of the sleep mode; I've read a ton about it, but I don't want to do the wrong thing.
3) If I get it to start with this boot disk pressing F12, then when the blue page comes up and I press system restore, it starts, but how do I get it to start on its own from now on?

Thank you,
Skyride

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

I would reinstall the OS and not do a system restore.

#10 cuecker

cuecker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

Try this

The solution for Vista Home Premium 32Bit:

Go to power options. You will be changing the setting for each of the three types of power plans individually.
For each, click on "change advanced power settings"
Find Multimedia Settings
In drop down un "when sharing media option" select "allow the computer to sleep" .

All power plans should be changed to this setting.

Very simple. I have put my computer to sleep several times and it reboots fine and the monitor comes on fine. I have not done a long term sleep yet but hopefully that won't be a factor.

Cnet link: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=185067

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users