Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should it stay or go away..donate ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sherri235

sherri235

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

Packing up in a move and I was wondering if this little pavilion can be revamped. I may have a hd to place on it if that is possible..or is it costly and not worth itin terms of compatibility.There are 2 other drives (cd rom drive and floppy on board) uses both serial and usb. The monitor is bigger than the cpu. :flowers:
I turned it on today and had to smile when I saw netscape on the desktop and a huge microsoft office board (shortcut type deal) something I had never seen before.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

I turned it on today and had to smile when I saw netscape on the desktop and a huge microsoft office board (shortcut type deal) something I had never seen before.

Well it would depend what you want to use it for afterwards Sherri?

I don't know that particular computer but Google brings back HP Pavilion PC Model 6638 (US) Product Specifications

Its a 533 MHz processor so that would be ok.
Now it doesn't show an hard drive spec so what size is it? Depending on how old it is you may struggle on inserting a larger hard drive. The memory spec only says 256MB max which is enough for Win98SE requirements.

Supported operating systems (OS/NOS)

Microsoft ® Windows 98 2nd Edition
NOTE: The only operating system supported on this HP Pavilion PC is MS Windows 98.

Now I wonder why it says that?

The microsoft office board is part of MS Office you can turn this function off in the office bar settings.

If you decide to change the hard drive then you would do a format and a fresh install thats providing you have the Win98SE CD? Even if you don't change it its always good to do a fresh install now and then. Start the computer up and go into Windows Explorer and check the date and time settings for the Windows folder, thats when it was last rebuilt. While you are in there you can check the Properties of your hard drive, just right-click on C:\ and select properties and read the drive size. You can also right-click on My Computer and select Properties again at the bottom and that will show how much memory you have installed (at the bottom). :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi Keith. Thanks for the reply. I think it said 11 gb free space left...originally 15gb I believe.
You read that it will only support 98...haha probably because it wouldn't support win95 and ME hadn't come out? Not sure...I was using my macs at that time and this wasn't my machine.
Ultimately, if I were able to use this I would chose windows xp first and that won't be supported either. Yes, I have the disk and restore cds..all of it. It's disconnected and ready to go in the box or...?

Edited by sherri235, 17 March 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Well Sherri if you are only giving this computer away then download Bootdisk and make a bootable floppy. Set the BIOS/CMOS so it boots from the floppy drive first then you can format the drive and do a fresh install of Win09SE. :thumbsup:

Keith

#5 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

No, I said I wasn't sure if keeping it was an option if xp or later than windows 98 cannot work on this processor..I just wanted some advise in terms of what will work on it, xp OS, etc. Obviously it won't be for heavy use in terms of photo or graphic work as is. I wondered if a new hard drive would re-energize it. I'll look into the bootdisk although I have the installation software, thanks for the info and input.
I learned that someone got rid of the floppys we had so I'll have to find those at the thrifty store or somewhere once I move, :thumbsup: however as I said I have all the cd/disks it came with.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

No, I said I wasn't sure if keeping it was an option if xp or later than windows 98 cannot work on this processor..I just wanted some advise in terms of what will work on it, xp OS, etc. Obviously it won't be for heavy use in terms of photo or graphic work as is. I wondered if a new hard drive would re-energize it.

I'm afriad your spec isn't really good enough for WinXP even though M$ say 233 MHz processor with 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM which it bull for selling WinXP WinXP Spec but there is nothing wrong with Win98SE.

A larger hard drive will only allow you to store more files that all it won't change the speed of operation. :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Okay, thanks Keith...I may be back here after the move to check up if I unpack it at the new place. Have a nice weekend. Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by sherri235, 19 March 2010 - 11:50 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

Do you want children? It would make a good first PC for a child.

#9 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

Thank you again Keith. Wish it would allow me to put more drive into it...oh well. I may pop in here once I unpack the little thing at my new place and get it online, we'll see. I appreciate your replies and the info links.
I wonder if I'll be able to use it much as the day I turned it on (and later off) it took about 6 minutes to shut down. Have a good weekend, cheers.

#10 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

I think the 2 year old already has a handle on video conferencing...we'll stick to the outdoors though...apparently she digs the iphone too. :thumbsup:
It's a wonder that as children 'we' didn't strangle ourselves with phone cords and if my Apple 2 plus fell on us we would surely have died, no wonder there are too many unhealthy weight issues in children now... :flowers:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

I wished I would have had a computer when I was 2. I probably would be a lot better with programming.

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Thank you again Keith. Wish it would allow me to put more drive into it...oh well.

I wonder if I'll be able to use it much as the day I turned it on (and later off) it took about 6 minutes to shut down.

Well it maybe possible to fit a larger drive. My old computer is 12 years old it originally came with a 6.4GB. A few years later I bought a 20GB then I fitted a 40GB drive and it works ok. I bought a 126GB of eBay and the BIOS won't recognise it. I think there is a limit with Win98/ME on the size of the drive to something like 60GB (Google it). With the 126GB I can't even partition it.

The fact that it take a long time to shut down normally means there are a lot of processes running. When you start the computer up and you can only see your desktop do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and write down the list of all things that are showing in Task Manager and post it back here. The number of icons showing in the Systray (next to the clock) will tell you the apps are running in the background, and they are all using memory which you don't have much of.

I wished I would have had a computer when I was 2. I probably would be a lot better with programming.

Its never to late to start? :thumbsup:

Keith

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

Its never to late to start? :thumbsup:

Im nearing 30 years old people who started using computers at an earlier age are years a head of me.

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Im nearing 30 years old people who started using computers at an earlier age are years a head of me.

Yes and I'm 54 this year but I've been programming on computers since 1981 with the BBC Micro model B computer using BBC Basic. Its never to late to start, it keeps the mind active and keeps away alzheimer's and dementia.

Read my signature. :thumbsup:

Keith

#15 pgh_pa_guy

pgh_pa_guy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Can't resist tossing in my 3 cents. Except for the low memory capacity, this is a good little computer. Throw a copy of Ubuntu Linux on it, stick in a CD burner and maybe a little bigger hard drive and you'll have a nice little general-purpose computer. Then you can either keep it as a backup or give it away.

For what it's worth I have copies of both W98 full install and upgrade CDs. I wonder how hard MS would go after people who gave away a copy if someone needed one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users