Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer keeps restarting randomly

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

My Hp keeps restarting ramdomly. It has been doing it for a while but I haven't had a lot of time to investigate until now. I took the panel off to see what was wrong and the northbridge clip was in the bottom of the of the case and the northbridge was hanging off. So I replaced it with a paperclip and cleaned the gunk off of the northbridge and southbridge and added some new dielectric grease to them and replaced them. All should be good right??? NOPE! It keeps restarting randomly! I have also cleaned out all of the dust, ran a pc-doctor check on it (which all tests passed), checked the temp in the bios (54c/129f), ran a fan directly on it with the case open, wiggled the power supply cord, tapped on the power supply, wiggled the power button cords, checked all connections, ran adaware, ran AVG, defragmented it, ran check disc, disc cleanup, deleted everything under internet options, took one memory out at a time and it still restarts randomly. I also ran "eventvwr" but didn't see anything about it restarting (didn't really know what to look for). Also, I right clicked on my computer and under the advanced tap clicked settings under startup and recovery. Then unchecked under system failure "automatically restart" but it still does it. I'm not really sure what info you need about the computer so I'll post what I know and if you need any other info please let me know.
HP Pavilion 061
Model Number: Px757AA-ABA a1118x
Windows XP 2600 Service Pack 2
MoBo Manufactor ASUSTek Computer INC.
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3300+, 2.411 GHz
Total Memory 1.875 GB
Free Physical Memory: 1.249GB

I am actually on it right now posting this so it does work when it's not restarting.
Thank you for your help because as my screen name says I'm ready to throw it out the window!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by ThrowItOutTheWindow, 16 March 2010 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Its definitely a hardware issue, how old is this machine?

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Where do you get this information about the northbridge and southbridge chip, how do you identify them, what did you do with a paper clip?

I don't understand this part at all:

the northbridge clip was in the bottom of the of the case and the northbridge was hanging off. So I replaced it with a paperclip and cleaned the gunk off of the northbridge and southbridge and added some new dielectric grease to them and replaced them.

Do you you have a disassembly or repair manual? I could not find one but would like to know what you are talking about and how you made these determinations and where the paper clip fits into the picture. I just can't get a mental picture of it and of course paper clips are not the preferred repair mechanism (but might be needed some times!)

ASUS makes a lot of motherboards, so it would help to see what yours looks like and what these clips are.

Is this what your MB looks like and if yes, what fell off and how did you fix it?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07227

There may or may not be information in the Event Log. An overheating issue usually will not put an event in the Event Log.

Would you say the system works longer if you let it cool off for a while?

Perhaps you are experiencing a blue screen of death (BSOD) or some other error and the system restarts before you can see the information.

To keep that from happening do this:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can see it:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

Then you can see the BSOD when it happens again.

Reboot and wait for it to fail again. In the meantime, provide the other requested information.

Edited by joseibarra, 17 March 2010 - 10:00 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Cryptodan- It's about 4 or 5 years old.

#5 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

joseibarra:
Ok to answer your first question I found my info on the following webpage: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/03/03/fixi...q-presario.html
For all purposes this is what my computer looked like inside.

#2 No I don't have a repair manual.

#3 Sorry, but no that isn't what my mobo looks like. It looks almost exactly like the one in the link I provided.

#4 There wasn't anything in the event log and the restarts are completely random. It seems to have slowed down since I repaired the clip and replaced the dielectric grease but then again I haven't been on it as much the last couple of days.

#5 There is no blue screen of death. I did read somewhere how to make the blue screen of death appear by right clicking on my computer and under the advanced tap clicked settings under startup and recovery. Then, I unchecked under system failure "automatically restart" but it still just restarts and no blue screen of death.

#6 OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PX757AA-ABA a1118x
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2411 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.12, 4/20/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name
Time Zone
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.14 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.29 GB
Page File

#7 I already did that as stated in #5 and in original post.

:thumbsup: Thank you and Cryptodan for your interest in helping with this crazy problem. If I sound hateful I'm sorry and don't mean it that way. I'm just trying to keep it simple and to the point (that was a lot of questions :flowers: ).

One other thing to add... I noticed today that it was making a funny noise don't know how to describe... it's kind of like a buzzing noise. I just touched the Ethernet cable (because it was the one I reached for first) and it stopped. I didn't try any of the others and when I wiggle them all now it doesn't make the noise even when I wiggle the Ethernet cable. The mobo may be a little loose. I will re check the mobo bolts to make sure they are tight. Thanks again.

#6 tombstone37

tombstone37

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

just a suggestion but try this:

Diagnosing Blue Screens and Windows crashes
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

it may help.

#7 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

OK but I need to get some DVD's first. By the way will a computer restart like this if it's running to cool? Just curious because I ran the fan on it to see if it would make a difference. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to try it again and when I did it started shutting down every few min again. There were no specific time frames between restarts still random just more often. Now since I have turned the fan off it has been running for about 20 min with no restarts. This is driving me crazy!

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Just a hunch! I had one stick of ram that gave me the same problem, did an RMA got the new stick and all has been fine for months.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

OldPhil: How did you figure out that was what was wrong. I read somewhere to take one out at a time and if it stops restarting while one is out that one is the bad. It said if it doesn't stop either time it's not the RAM. I took one out at time and turned it on and it restarted with each of them out. I've been on here for a while and the computer hasn't restarted since around 11pm and it's now 2am. It hasn't restarted since I turned the fan off and put the side cover back on the tower. Do you think the fan could have been to cool on it? I've never heard of that before but it was restarting every few min before I took turned the fan off and put the side cover back on.

Edited by ThrowItOutTheWindow, 19 March 2010 - 02:05 AM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

If it is still running maybe just re seating the ram did the trick, every once in awhile I run onto where just pulling all the internal and cleaning things up the problems go away.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

It's still restarting. I borrowed a tower to use so I could get some work done the past couple of days and used my cords to hook into the other computer and it didn't restart so I guess I've ruled out cords being the problem and my external dsl modem being the problem. Does that only leave the heatsink (in bios the temp was normal), fans (in bios the rpm's were normal), and power supply? Can the temperature and the RPM's be normal in BIOS (right after it restarts on it's own) and still still be the problem?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Id wager the CPU is the issue now.

#13 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

google tempature programs- core temp or real temp for cpu- They are both good there are others for ram, video cards etc- run these and keep an eye on the temps while you are up and running- is your cpu heat sink plugged with enough dust it looks like it is wearing a coat? How about furballs around the hdd?
This stuff builds up and is generally hard to view unless you are looking for it.

I don't really trust these temp programs for a specific actual tempature but I do trust them for a trend-

After getting a indication of current temp download and run super pi- it will only run one core but it runs it at 100%- if you really want to test things download and run prime95- it will run everything and is probably the most common torture test used by overclockers to determine if their overclock is stable-

#14 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:42 AM

run super pi- it will only run one core but it runs it at 100%- if you really want to test things download and run prime95- it will run everything and is probably the most common torture test used by overclockers to determine if their overclock is stable-

:thumbsup:
What does super pi do? When you say run one core does that mean one core temperature? When you say prime95 runs everything what is everything? Also, what is a overclocker? Sorry I don't know a whole lot about things like this but I'm learning
:flowers:

#15 ThrowItOutTheWindow

ThrowItOutTheWindow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Also, there is no dust. That was the second thing I did after replacing the northbridge (after posting the first post not sure if that's the correct name for it it's the "porcupine" looking thing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users