Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help a newb with an internet problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrmax

mrmax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hey all I'm a novice at computers but willing to learn, and I have a 3 year old Toshiba laptop that I use for work. Lately my wireless connection has been timing out more and more, it seems to time out and reset every time I try and stream a video, and lately it has been timing out for web pages that have a lot of pictures or graphs. By time out, I mean the internet will break connection, my little icon at the bottom right will cycle through no internet icon, then yellow triangle icon, then back to blue circle icon in the span of about 30 seconds (sorry for the bush league description I just don't know how else to describe this).

My wife has a newer computer on the same wireless connection that does not experience this problem. I do my best to keep the computer clean, I periodically check running programs and stop or delete the ones I didn't authorize, and I don't use itunes or kazaa or any file sharing software.

If you guys could give me some easy to understand suggestions on how to help my computer get back to the way it was then I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

What ISP do you have, and what plan do you have?

I have Verizon FiOS, with 35Megabits up and down.

#3 mrmax

mrmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

We have Comcast and it is the most basic plan, probably not that much bandwidth at all. I thought at first that our cheapo internet might be the problem, but my wife's computer doesn't experience these malfunctions. Could something else be the source of the problem?

#4 DJGirl

DJGirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Are you in the same part of the house as she is? Could it be that the signal isn't as strong? I had this issue once. My provider was my cable company. I called them and they did some changes to the signal it was on and it was fixed.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

Are your drivers up to date?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

mrmax,

While your issue may be non-related to Comcast connection, there is a small chance it could be a Comcast issue.

I suggest you try the Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet connection, cable tv, CDV, customer service, and billing.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Go to Internet Connection Forum.
Read these two threads: (the first 2 listed)

Troubleshooting Suggestions for Connection-Related Issues. Try the suggestions here. If no joy, continue to

Information Required for Connection-related Posts. Post the requested info. We have connection experts who will (hopefully) be able to get this sorted out.

If nothing else, they can rule out something related to Comcast.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 March 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#7 mrmax

mrmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Thanks guys lots of great ideas I'll start checking them out this evening I'll post my results

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'd also check, if you have very same problem, when you hardwire your laptop to the router, or straight to the modem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users