Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Monitor and Oldish Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smegly

smegly

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Greetings,

I've just installed a Dell ST2410 monitor using the VGA cable that came with it(no DVI cable was present). I have heard that the monitor's performance will be enhanced by using DVI instead of VGA but I see that DVI comes in multiple flavors. The Dell monitor accepts DVI-D whereas it would seem that my NVIDIA 6800 GT card only accepts DVI-I, at least that's the way I read the specs on the graphics card.

My question then is: Is my monitor incompatible with my graphics card in terms of hooking the two up using DVI?

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

There is no conflict.
DVI-I accept broader spectrum. It's compatible with both DVI-D (digtal) and DVI-A (analog, same as VGA) signal.
The difference in picture quality depends on the quality of your video card.

I give you an example from my setup.
My desktop has top notch video card and it uses dual monitors. One is connected through DVI cable, the other one through VGA cable. Both monitors are same brand, same size and almost same model. Honestly, I see no difference in picture quality.

However, when I connect my laptop (average level, average on-board video chip) to one of the monitors through VGA cable, the quality is visibly worse.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 smegly

smegly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

Broni,

Thanks for the info. But one more small question: Should a buy a DVI-D DVI-I cable or does it simply not matter?

craig

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

DVI-I will do.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users